Talk

Advanced search

to put myself forward as vice chair or not- primary school governing body

(4 Posts)
fourandahalfkids Wed 14-Sep-11 16:46:40

I am a parent governor at my girls lovely primary school. I only joined the governing body in January but I have completed the GO1 and GO2 training. Even so I still feel very very new. I havent worked for 10 years as have been at home raising my children. I have run a successful toddler group for 5 years and a creche for about the same time. Nothing remotely administrative or managerial.
The responsibilities that I have been given at school have not been enough to really get my teeth stuck in, not really hands on at all. So I feel lacking in experience and confidence considering the other governors on the panel. However, I have a passion and enthusiasm to see the school thrive. I would like to spend more time in the school, maybe helping read with the chlidren or helping out on trips. However I do have a lively 2 and a half year old to consider.
Everything is all change at school at the moment, we have a brand new deputy head, who literally started this term, our Head teacher has just reseigned and will be leaving us at christmas. Our chair of governors just stepped down citing work commitments and our vice chair just left for the same reason. So our core leadership team is in tatters at the moment.
The head has approached me to consider the vice chair position. Their are others who I believe are better placed to do this given their experience within the governing body but they are all citing it is too much work for them given their work committments. I really want to help the school but I just dont know if I can. I just dont feel I have the experience I need and it is a very daunting prospect. It is something I would like to do in the future, but i think it's too soon. But if I dont do it, i dont know hoe else will. Help
Are there any vice chairs out there who can give me some advice plz.
thanx

admission Wed 14-Sep-11 19:20:46

I think given the level of changes in both the senior management team and the governing body that you must consider putting yourself forward for the vice chairs position.
I think that you under-estimate your capabilities.You might not see running a creche and a toddler group as good training for being an effective VC, but the head has obviously seen something in what you have said and done around school and GB meetings to think you do have the capability.
I think the first thing to find out is who is going to be Chair, because you have got to have an effective working relationship with them. The other thing that I think is really important in the schools current situation is that you understand and operate on the basis of governors and the governing body working strategically. The day to day management of the school is the SMT's problem. I would have to say the VC position is one that you and the chair work out what you are responsible for, when you get going.
You need to get the Chair and VC positions sorted urgently as the next task you need to do is appoint a new head. This is absolutely the most important job the Gb will do as the head is critical to the future well being of the school.
You might find the national governors association website useful, www.nga.org.uk and also UKgovernors http://forums.ukgovernors.org.uk/
Get your application in and stop thinking any more about it!

dearheart Wed 14-Sep-11 20:44:39

A friend took on the chairmanship in similar circs. She is learning on the job - and much appreciated by the head. I would do it if you think that you want to take it on at some point.

DanFmDorking Wed 14-Sep-11 23:45:16

... just to agree and underline some points made above (thanks admission)

Appointing the Head is absolutely the most important job the Gb will do, as the head is critical to the future well being of the school.

Get that process going NOW!
If you are not sure what to do then approach your County Governance Support team, tell them exactly the situation and that you’d like some guidance but get that process going now.

Get yourself booked on some appropriate training courses.

Remember, you don’t have to do the jobs yourself. Tell the rest of the Governing Body that you will be asking for assistance. Keep a list of jobs that are to be done and give them out.

You could try this approach: ‘I am new to Governance so I will run the appointment of the new head myself and all other jobs I will delegate. I will consider my position after the new Head has been appointed/started work.’

Good Luck

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now