Talk

Advanced search

Working parents- before and after school care

(8 Posts)
Worcestercat Tue 13-Sep-11 22:29:57

We are looking at schools for my LO for September and there is a great school on the way to work (and only 2 miles from our house) which offer the breakfast club and after school club we need because we are working and don't have much flexibility in our work.
The problem is that it is over subscribed so we have a feeling we won't get in. The other schools in the area offer nothing similar (small villages) so I am feeling a bit anxious about how we will get my daughter to school.
I only work 3 days but we are new to the area and have no idea what we can do to get our daughter to school on time on those three days.
I am sure that the admissions team take no notice of your circumstances when the schools are allocated.
Ironically, I am a teacher but we never have anything to do with the admissions process so I haven't got a clue!
Any advice please?
x

annh Tue 13-Sep-11 22:38:19

Childminder in your village? Aupair if you have space for one? Ask other local parents what they do?

sleepwouldbenice Tue 13-Sep-11 22:57:51

Definately think about the childminder option, should fit well if you dont need the cover during school hols they can take on other kids then. only issue is their holidays / sickness but you can maybe get cover for these from other parents or your other half?

I think our council had a list of local ones otherwise the schools may be able to point you in the right direction

CustardCake Wed 14-Sep-11 08:46:42

A child minder is your best option. You are very unlikely to get a place at a school 2 miles away unless it is unpopular or not full due to its location. If it has lots of applicants, you almost certainly will not get in.
And no account with admissions is taken of childcare or work or travel arrangements - unfortunately so many people have quite complicated morning drop-offs and long hours at work that it is impossible to allow for this.
If you can find a childminder who already does drop-offs in the local area or whose own children go to the same school, this will probably work best for you.

Ooopsadaisy Wed 14-Sep-11 08:59:52

Hi Worcestercat.

I don't have any miraculous solutions for you, but I just wanted to wish you all the best.

This was the part of parenthood I found the most stressful and guilt-ridden. Work/home balance and childcare.

You sound very together and calm - I was not - I was angry and resentful with how difficult it all was.

My lifesaver was my wonderful network of friends. Between us we helped each other out enormously, covering shifts and late meetings/early starts and traffic jams and work courses and traffic/weather chaos.

My DCs are now teens and cook the family meal when I'm at work and are pretty much self-reliant (except for the state of DS's room) but I will never forget trying to balance everything years ago.

You and all the other parents trying to do the same have my upmost admiration.

God - I think I must be hormonal - sorry!

Just wanted to assure you that you aren't alone.

notyummy Wed 14-Sep-11 09:03:30

Depends on how much you want to spend and how early you would have to drop iff DD with a childminder. I work 4 days a week with a long commute. Dh is in the military and is often away do I cannot rely on him to help. I need to leave home early (615) to get to work at 745 - this means I can leave work at 4pm and pick DD up at 5 30. Trying to find a childminder that would do that would be a real stretch - and draging poor DD out of bed before 6am to get her to a childminder seemed wrong.

I advertised in the Job Centre (which is free, and they give you loads of help on employing someone) for a mothers help to come to my house at 615 in the morning, do a bit of cleaning, get DD up and then walk her to school. I have a lovely local lady who has been with us for 2 years and is fantastic. As she is only working for us for a few hours we don't get embroiled in tax etc, and the Job Centre helped us with the CRB check etc - the lady had been working as a dinner lady so had one anyway. She is also a 'First Responder' (a highly trained volunteer first aider who works with paramedics.)

Worth a thought? We pay £100 which seems a lot, but she cleans as well. We also have to pay after school club.

stealthsquiggle Wed 14-Sep-11 09:23:41

are you in Worcestershire (wild guess from name!)? If so, I could dig out the link to the children's information service who can give you details of childminders, etc.

Worcestercat Wed 14-Sep-11 14:54:12

Aw! Thanks for all your help. I think I need to do a bit of networking within the village and around. Only been here 7 months and made mainly older friends (50+ in age).

Thanks Ooopsadaisy for being so sweet. I think I am a little stressed about it all but hope these ideas will help.

Will read through these all again when I have more time. I think the ideas from Notyummy (maybe a bit harsh on yourself with that name?!) are interesting.

Stealthsquiggle, that is very kind of you. I am originally from Worcester which is where I would like to be... my family and friends all live there which is why I find it tough here.

x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now