Talk

Advanced search

What do you send for "show and tell". I haven't come across this before.

(45 Posts)
limetrees Tue 13-Sep-11 21:47:00

It's show and tell tomorrow and I haven't seen this before. What am I supposed to send? It is going to occur weekly so I need lots of ideas. DS would just want to take toys. Is that OK or not? Year 1 btw.

nancy75 Tue 13-Sep-11 21:49:14

they don't all get a go every week. He can take a toy, photo, post catrd of somewhere you have all been. It is a good idea to get him to tell you what he is going to say about it - you never know what kids might come out with!

meditrina Tue 13-Sep-11 21:50:52

Yes - anything they can talk about happily. I can remember the following going in (yrs R-2): Doctor Who cards, new watch (eek), Angelina Ballerina toy, interesting stone, magic trick kit, photos of a riding lesson, judo belt - probably loads more (mercifully erased from memory).

Eveiebaby Tue 13-Sep-11 21:51:49

I think a toy would be fine. Last year in reception DD usually ended up taking in some photographs of holiday or a day out we had had. It could be a picture they have drawn or something that releates to a hobby or interest they have but to be honest I think it is usually toys that most kids like to take in smile

diggingintheribs Tue 13-Sep-11 21:53:11

DS has to do this every week. he has told me he wants to take his fire station toy next week. i am trying to convince him just taking one of the firemen would be good enough!

RhinestoneCowgirl Tue 13-Sep-11 21:53:35

DS did this in reception last year, I asked him what he wanted to take and he opted for a lego 'space bulldozer' that he made with DH. Toys seem to be pretty popular, although today DS was breathlessly telling me about X who brought in a star fish 'from Hawaii'...

Tommy Tue 13-Sep-11 21:58:19

not supposed to take toys in to our school.....
I only used to let the take something in if we'd been somewhere (theatre or walk in country) or a photo of something we'd done or made or something.
Can you imagine how dull it would be for the teachers is they got Toy Story figures or whatever every week?
hmm

sittinginthesun Tue 13-Sep-11 21:58:27

From memory, DS has taken in Lego flags, a pen that played the French National Anthem, a picture of Blackpool, his swimming badge, Playmobil...

DS has various toys all ready for this year.

verybusyspider Tue 13-Sep-11 21:59:51

anything they want to, its hopeless to try and persuade them to take something you think would be 'appropriate' as they'll like have nothing to say or just say 'mummy/daddy told me to bring it in' its just a confidence building activity, ticks boxes in communication and verbalising I think, ds (yr R last year) took (amongst other things) bike helmet, swimming certificate, favourite book, cuddly toy, this year (yr 1) so far took a postcard and some shells after hunting for them because they had been doing holidays in class. Done on a rota basis so everyone has chance to share, I think it worked out about once a month for ds last year.

twotesttickles Tue 13-Sep-11 22:00:30

Send a sibling - gets them out from under your feet for the whole day grin

Riveninabingle Tue 13-Sep-11 22:01:04

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

verybusyspider Tue 13-Sep-11 22:02:16

oh and his reading challenge certificate and medal from library over summer - just read Tommy's comment, I guess you could persuade him to take something about something he has done and enjoyed rather than just toys... depends on school

IwishIwasmoreorganised Tue 13-Sep-11 22:02:48

DS1 had to do this last year in reception and they had to be items that started with the "letter of the week" which made it a bit more interesting.

belledechocchipcookie Tue 13-Sep-11 22:02:59

Do send something interesting in. My son's only had show and tell once, he didn't tell me and didn't take anything in. Put on the spot, he held his hands behind his back and produced.....air. He then gave his class facts about air. The teacher was less then impressed, although the other's thought it was a great idea. confused

limetrees Tue 13-Sep-11 22:04:11

Thanks everyone!

culturemulcher Tue 13-Sep-11 22:06:21

Sounds like your DS will go far, belle that's amazing thinking on his feet. grin

twotesttickles Tue 13-Sep-11 22:10:01

Do not allow your child to take an the interesting urn from the mantlepiece which contains the ashes of a beloved family pet. They will trip on the way to school. hmm

We had a stern note warning us that 'nothing with a heartbeat' should be brought to show and tell after someone brought in a hamster which escaped and lived in the classroom for a few weeks till caught.

HSMM Tue 13-Sep-11 22:10:24

Don't send anything precious, in case it gets lost, stolen or broken.

belledechocchipcookie Tue 13-Sep-11 22:12:03

He's an absolute character star culturemulcher. grin

InterruptingCow Tue 13-Sep-11 22:12:57

Mine frequently took whatever I could forage from my pockets/handbag because I'd forgotten all about it until 30 seconds before the school bell rang! Keyrings, photos from my purse and novelty pens all made an appearance!

exoticfruits Tue 13-Sep-11 22:14:29

As a teacher I would be mightily impressed by the DC who talked about air-a DC who will go far in life!
Not toys-it is boring!
Nothing precious, nothing that can get broken. I wouldn't worry about it-the DCs are never stuck for something! They love showing-they are not terribly keen on being the audience! (unless you get the sort of DC who can hold centre stage and be entertaining)

rebl Tue 13-Sep-11 22:59:33

I don't worry about it, in fact I don't know when ds's show and tell is. He'll either show the toy he took in that day or what ever he found in the playground that day.

My dd has it all planned out for every week, typical woman grin.

strictlovingmum Wed 14-Sep-11 08:55:21

Toy, postcard of holiday, figurine, house ornament, anything in fact child shows interest in.
DD had taken wooden ornament of Egyptian mummy, set of wooden African elephants, toy airplane and so onsmile

pinkgirlythoughts Wed 14-Sep-11 09:04:05

Don't take something in just for the sake of taking it... in my class last year, we had a short show and tell session every day, meant to be for 'special' things, but had to change it to just once a week, as there was a certain core group of children who would literally just show or tell us anything, for the sake of having a go, then get really upset when the TA or I pointed out that a stone you found in the playground this morning really isn't especially worth showing, just like the news that you might be having chips for tea wasn't really worth telling us yesterday, either.

Save it for special things!

Ooopsadaisy Wed 14-Sep-11 09:06:57

Show and Tell!

There are some things I loved about primary years and this was one of them!

DS took sports trophies he won and swimming certificates. Also photograph of him playing cricket with Andrew Flintoff.

DD also took swimming medals and certificates. Also bridesmaid dress from when she was my Dad's bridesmaid. Awkwardly, she also wanted to take the little pot with our cat's ashes in after we had to put the old boy down. I got round that by arranging for her just to show the teacher privately after school one day.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now