Talk

Advanced search

Alternative Christmas Box Scheme?

(11 Posts)
BarnMummy Tue 13-Sep-11 15:35:26

Last year DS1's school asked us to take part in the Samaritans' Purse Christmas Box scheme Operation Christmas Child. While I like the principle of the scheme, I was concerned about some aspects of the Samaritans' Purse organisation, and with the backing of the School Governors, I am hoping to find a similar scheme which donates on a "no strings" basis.

Does anyone have any thoughts as to other organisations / schemes we could look into?

Thanks!

JennyPiccolo Tue 13-Sep-11 15:43:14

I would contact save the children and ask them.

strawberrymivvi Tue 13-Sep-11 15:50:14

The Rotary club do a shoe box appeal all year round and you only have to donate £2 per box.

Contact your local branch.

dizzyday07 Tue 13-Sep-11 16:38:44

They run this in my DD's school - and as my views on the organisation are similar to yours - I too tried to find an alternative. Neither Save The Children or Oxfam run such a scheme. I'm trying to think of who else I contacted but I couldn't find an alternative.

Maybe Barnados for a UK based organisation?

Snowy27 Tue 13-Sep-11 17:48:03

Try contacting local homeless/refuge/family charities- we've worked closely with the mustard tree in Manchester who are fab, collected clothes and toys and a member of staff came and spoke to the Rainbows.

Sidheag Tue 13-Sep-11 18:09:26

Aquabox, coordinated by the Rotary Club
www.aquabox.org/
You can fill a box, but it's from a prescribed list, not freely (or you can pay for their volunteers to fill the box standardly). I don't think you'll find anything that sends freely-packed boxes internationally in the same way that Samaritan's Purse do, because tbh that's a shamefully inefficient way to help people. It may be different if it's for local people (so donors are likely to have a reasonable idea of what'll be appreciated by recipients and the boxes aren't being shipped half way across the world).

BarnMummy Tue 13-Sep-11 22:12:15

Thank you for all your replies - I know (from friends who work in the industry) that the major charities don't do schemes like this for exactly the reason you state Sidheag, that it's ridiculously costly per box - for myself I would do something different, but I do think it can help primary age children to understand the concept of giving.

V interesting about Rotary, this is the only other one I had heard of - I may look at the details, but I think that last year choosing the contents was a big part of understanding the point for DS1 (who is 5).

I really like the idea of doing it locally - I will look into this - we live in what most people think is a pretty wealthy area, but I know that in fact there is poverty very close by.

Thanks again.

PlumSykes Tue 13-Sep-11 22:17:22

The Rotary also do a shoebox scheme, which sends to Eastern Europe. Can do a Toys box, a Household Box, Teenager box etc, but not from a prescribed list at all.

chocolatespiders Tue 13-Sep-11 22:22:07

We do ours for a local refuge now, give them to council children services and they pass them on, I pick up good activity books in The works and wrap them up. I really love giving to them and trying to make a tiny bit of happiness.. knowing that they are not in there home for Christmas sad

strawberrymivvi Tue 13-Sep-11 22:22:07

Our school doesn't do the Aquabox one, it does this one

BarnMummy Tue 13-Sep-11 23:25:21

Ah - thank you for the extra info on Rotary - will definitely look into that. I'll also contact local Childrens Services and see if they do anything.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now