Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Music lessons (instruments)

(11 Posts)
bath70 Tue 13-Sep-11 15:12:23

Ds in year 3 has been offered chance to learn an instrument. It costs £90 per term. We could probably afford it at a push but I just wondered how worthwhile it would be.
Any experience or advice appreciated.

whenIgetto3 Tue 13-Sep-11 15:43:39

All 3 of my older ones play instruments, they have done since they were around 5 years old. They gain so much from learning a musical instrument it is amazing. They don't all play the same instrument and love to try to teach each other how to play their instrument. They have concerts at school that they all play in and they love the chance to get up on the stage and show what they can play, even if it is only twinkle twinkle little star grin. Would it be individual or group lessons? Mine hated group lessons so I would say individual lessons are much better.

Seeline Tue 13-Sep-11 16:04:22

Unless it is something your DS is keen to do I wouldn't worry. It's hard enough getting them to practice even when they want to learn! I think group lessons are a good way to start learning - cheaper too. If your DS wants to continue you can always swap later. Also look into whether it is possible to hire an instrument to start with rather than buying one and finding out after a term that he isn't really interested.

bath70 Tue 13-Sep-11 18:07:11

That price is for a group lesson. It seems quite expensive to me but ds wants to do it.

bath70 Tue 13-Sep-11 18:07:29

oops. Thank you.

makemineaginandtonic Tue 13-Sep-11 19:17:09

I think if they are showing an interest go for it! I learned the recorder in school and then the flute and eventually started playing the saxophone. I joined a youth orchestra and got so much enjoyment from playing at home and being part of the group. I still get a lot of enjoyment from playing stuff for my children. I highly recommend giving it a try.

Ferguson Tue 13-Sep-11 20:02:36

Hi

I was an Infant School TA for ten years, and introduced children to informal (ie not often using printed music, and not aiming for Grades) music learning on recorder, percussion and keyboard. My Yr2 recorder groups gave little performances for parents, and some children carried on into the Junior School. One year when they had moved up to Yr6 they asked me to arrange for them to perform for the whole school, before they transferred to Secondary, which I was happy to do of course. With Yr2 I coached children on percussion for the Christmas production.

So yes, playing any instrument is enjoyable and a valuable skill. Some things to consider: the child's build and size of hands; ability to concentrate, and 'stick at' an activity; type of music they already know and enjoy.

My DS played recorder from age 5, then trombone at 7 or 8, though he really want saxophone, which he changed to aged 10.

Violin, cello etc are more difficult to learn. Trumpet needs a lot of 'puff, and trombone, though larger, is easier to play. Recorder is a good introduction to go on to flute, clarinet, and saxophone.

Do you and/or DS prefer Classical, brass band, lighter orchestral, jazz, etc ?

So there are many options available.

Good luck in you choice!

lostlady Tue 13-Sep-11 20:05:11

I would say is great to learn an instrument, but agree that individual lessons much better. My dc's cost £10 per week and the teacher comes to the house- probably works out much the same.

Theas18 Tue 13-Sep-11 22:52:27

This is the standard price these days I think. I can't recommend learning and instrument highly enough. Lost lady you are either getting a complete bargain or an unqualified teacher we pay £12 half hour piano. Remember the schools music service generally includes instrument provision and insurance.

lostlady Tue 13-Sep-11 22:59:13

It is for half an hour piano. The teacher is quaint, but qualified. She makes me think of a Barbara Pym novel. But we are in the sticks, probably cheaper here, very lucky smile

bath70 Wed 14-Sep-11 21:25:58

Thank you for your input. spoke to dh who doesn't want us to proceed with this particular instrument. May have to think again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now