Talk

Advanced search

Is Latin part of the National Curriculum?

(10 Posts)
ChinaInYourHands Tue 13-Sep-11 14:32:16

If so, is it part of the NC at Primary level?
If it is not part of the NC, at what age is it usually introduced in independent schools?
Thank you

belledechocchipcookie Tue 13-Sep-11 14:34:11

No, it's not part of the NC. It depends on the school as to what age it's introduced. It's not usually taught in state schools though.

Ladymuck Tue 13-Sep-11 14:36:59

Not part of the NC. Across our 3 prep schools, 1 introduces it at Year 5, the others at Year 6. If you are at a prep school preparing for Common Entrance at 13 then you would start by Year 6.

ChinaInYourHands Tue 13-Sep-11 15:49:55

DS is in Yeat 3 at a state school but very interested in latin so wanted a simple textbook for him, but not the 'usborne' type.
Thank for the info.

juuule Tue 13-Sep-11 15:54:30

I've heard that minimus latin is good.

LIZS Tue 13-Sep-11 15:55:23

Cambridge Latin course is still fairly standard and you can access it online. dc have learnt since year 5

If you can get it, Latin for Children Primer A here is pretty good. If you get the answer key book too, that helps, if you don't know much yourself. I'm working through it slowly with DS (would be yr 2 if at school) and it's fine. There's also Minimus, but I think the full course of that's really expensive. It is more 'child-friendly- in the way it's laid out than the primer - it has cartoons and stuff that the primer doesn't have, but the primer is far better for basic grammar, imo.

juuule Tue 13-Sep-11 15:56:06

On Amazon

pointissima Tue 13-Sep-11 15:57:02

Galore park (google them) do "so you really want to learn Latin" which is amusing and rigorous. Year 3 is quite little to start; but I can see why you want to start while he is showing an interest.

ChinaInYourHands Tue 13-Sep-11 19:11:22

I will look up all your suggestions; thank you all so much. I wanted something simple but not simplistic. For example the usborne books are in my opinion a bit pointless because they teach how to say things you might say on holiday in Latin, which is really pointless. However, a simple book explaining the beauty of latin and how much it features in modern languages would really appeal to him. Thanks again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now