Scottish system- deferring(4 Posts)
DS1 was born in Feb 2008, so we have the option of him starting school next August (when he will be 4.5) or deferring for a year until he is 5.5. Given that the Scottish system goes straight to P1, we thought it would be beneficial if he had an extra year before starting.
In addition, he's a small build for his age and quite an emotional chap. He goes to nursery 2 days currently (private, not attached to a school), so he is getting out and about socially.
Does anyone else have experience of deferring for a year and could you give me the positives and negatives of doing it? If this is the way we go, should I be concentrating on doing anything formal with him at home as he'll be starting a year later? Is there a danger of him becoming bored with an extra nursery year? Are there any disadvantages he'll have later in life being a bit older getting into the system?
We are in the process of looking at schools and are considering independent options (doing a few open days next month), so we may move him to a school nursery for the extra year.
All feedback is very welcome and I'm new to all this!
My DS1 was a late January baby and went to school at 4.5.He had a year of pre school nursery (attached to primary).I wasn't convinced that he was ready but nursery teachers said he had been borderline for deferral but reckoned he was ready.And he was,he did really well and to be honest he would have been bored with another year of nursery.He is now in 3rd year and has continued to do well.
My DS2 was a March baby so was 5.5 and he is very clever and well above his peer group but he is well above the next group up too so I think he would have been clever anyway.He doesn't get on that well with his own classmates and all his friends are in the next 2 years up.So that in itself can cause it's own problems.
My DS3 is September so probably average age for year and he does ok but hasn't been keen on school since day 1 and wouldn't go if he had the choice.He
doesn't struggle but neither does he find it easy.
My DD is March and won't start till 5.5 next year.She could have started a year early but happy to let her have another year at nursery.She's not bored yet!
I think what I am trying to say is that they are all different and some are ready and some are not.I would try to get him to go to nursery 5 days either morning or afternoon and you will have a better idea how he copes on a daily basis (as will teachers) before you make any decisions.
Remember no other country in Europe send their kids to school as young as we do.
Thanks for your reply peacemoon. It's so hard to decide what to do, as they change so quickly too. Most people I've spoken to have said it's a good idea to defer especially with a boy, but he is quite bright and mature in his outlook towards other children already (from what I can see) and I don't want to necessarily exacerbate any differences by deferring. In other ways he quite immature too and I think would get quite tired doing a full week.
DH wants to do as you suggest and start him at a school nursery 5 half days. That might be a compromise as you say and give him a lead into school life.
I think it's a good idea and you will be surprised at how quickly they grow and change.It's almost a year before school starts.
I was the same with my first and I really worried about it and I think you worry about everything more with your first! But he never looked back.I wish I could say the same for my third!
Don't worry just now just enjoy your wee boy as he is at the moment.And delay any decisions till at least after easter holidays.Good luck with whatever you decide.He will show you the way.
Join the discussion
Please login first.