Talk

Advanced search

another neurotic mum....

(12 Posts)
loosinas Mon 12-Sep-11 20:12:41

im just wondering how to help my son... hes a week into year one and hes on the red book band. we seem to have hit a wall. hes still sounding every word and stumbling with phonemes as hes trying to sound every letter and not noticing sounds that need to be sounded out together eg IGH in night. how can i help him move forward ? is it a matter of practicing the phonemes or what ? he likes "doing his sounds" so he wouldnt be averse to that. im quite worried hes not where he needs to be.....

blackeyedsusan Mon 12-Sep-11 20:18:42

why not practise one sound, eg "igh" and then do a phoneme hunt for those words. you can write some of them on cards and see if he can spot them, or look for those worrds in some of his story books. give him a magnifying glass and he can be a phoneme detective...

embles76 Mon 12-Sep-11 20:24:16

the igh one is quite a tricky one I think... it's just practice really... have a look at my thread on encouraging reading there was some great advice on there and some good websites to look at.

virgiltracey Mon 12-Sep-11 20:28:05

does it help if you revea the letters or sounds a bit at a time. For trickier words I put my finger over part of the word so "fighting" Show the "f" then pull finger back to show the "igh" then pull finer back further to show the "t" then pull back fully to show the "ing". It worked with the DSs. Once they've seen it a few times they get to spot the sounds hidden in the words themselves

virgiltracey Mon 12-Sep-11 20:29:13

sorry for the typos, I had a muh needed glass of wine before I realised I'd forgotten lunch and so have only had a small bowl of cornflakes all day!

IndigoBell Mon 12-Sep-11 21:54:29

Red band books shouldn't have 'igh' in them.

Are they phonetic books or 'look and say' books.

If they're look and say, then he's not actually meant to read the words - just guess sad

A phonetic red band book would only have CVC words in it.

loosinas Tue 13-Sep-11 20:19:06

hes got some rigby star ones now and theyre not totally decodable like the old songbirds phonics ones he had..

embles76 Wed 14-Sep-11 19:04:14

IndigoBell I was thinking that red band shouldn't have 'igh' ... seems a bit advanced for red band

UniS Wed 14-Sep-11 19:46:05

DS learnt "igh" in term 2 of reception and has been reading it happily ever since. Its combo he spots and remembers well. They had very systematic teaching of phonics/sounds in that class, lots of practise, actions and focused use of the new sounds.

DS has been reading Red band since half way through term 2 of reception, now like OPs child just into Year 1.. Within Red band there seem to be easier books and harder books depending on what phonetic bits the child has learnt yet. I guess many school like ours use a mix of decodable phonics books and older look and say books. I'm very glad they do as the look and say books can be much more interesting to DS even if he needs more assistance with the reading, they keep him engaged in a way some pure phonics schemes do not.

40notTrendy Wed 14-Sep-11 19:50:41

My ds similar. His teacher last year told us to draw the sound buttons underneath them so that he sees the sounds, not the letters. So for 'with' there would be a button under 'w', 'i' and 'th'. Lots of practice and spotting the words out and about helped too. (we got stuck in an enormous traffic jam in Bristol, and got ds to notice his sounds on the road signs. It was a very long jam!)

strictlovingmum Wed 14-Sep-11 21:38:33

With DD I practiced those graphemes, one group at the time, if this makes sense, teachers out there feel free to correct me;
i-e:
bike
trike
bite
igh:
light
fright
night
might
sight
right
We would read them at first few times, me pointing differences in writing these words, and then with my finger I would cover gh, and show her to read only sounds that she sees.
We also practiced writing them, once she could confidently read words containing these graphemes and distinguish between the two, I would read those words above and she would write them with appropriate grapheme in the middle.
Eventually we got theresmile
Also it was recomended by some of the teachers here on MN to use the recourses from and sounds lot's of very useful staff there, printouts, banners etc, hope this helps.

strictlovingmum Wed 14-Sep-11 21:46:56

I can't do linkblush
Letters and Sounds.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now