Talk

Advanced search

School reading scheme changes

(7 Posts)
Snowfire Mon 12-Sep-11 12:15:33

DD (yr6) has been on free reads since early year 4. Sometimes the books she has chosen have been a bit naff but she has read and enjoyed lots of different books such as; Roald Dahl, Michael Morpurgo, Harry Potter etc and really enjoys reading. Sometime last year I was told she had a reading age of 13 so I thought this would mean she can read pretty much anything with age appropriate content.
Last week she came out of school moaning that she had been put back on the reading scheme and had been given (no choice) a book to read. Looking at it at home, it's OUP tree tops level 14 which is apparently aimed at year 5. It seems very similar to the ones she had a few years ago with large print, short chapters and lots of pictures. I had a bit of a read myself and thought it was pretty simple in terms of storyline and language compared to what she has been reading for the past 2 years and she feels that she is being put back. I've spoken to a few other mums and I think it's the whole class who have been put back, not just DD.
Has this happened to anyone else?

newtermnewname Mon 12-Sep-11 12:21:01

Sounds to me, OP, that her school maybe had a few shocks re: SAT results last year and they are adopting this approach to try to address the reading/comprehension element. Understand why she is miffed, though, my DD (also yr6) would be mortified.

Ask the teachers. If it is a blanket approach I would think you are perfectly within your rights to ask.

Niecie Mon 12-Sep-11 12:21:57

I had similar sort of issue with DS1. They were apparently worried that he would read books that he was not ready for emotionally rather than because of his reading. He was in Yr 3 though at the time so reading a 7 yr old reading a book for an 11 yr old could be a bit daunting in terms of content.

In year 6 I would be questioning the teacher about the decision. Surely they don't have books in schools that Yr 6's aren't emotionally able to deal with and if her reading age is high then she should be able to read anything in the school surely. I think you need to have a word with the teacher. Maybe it is something as simple as a mix up with the information being passed on by the Yr 5 teacher to her new class.

Niecie Mon 12-Sep-11 12:24:13

Hadn't thought of the comprehension side of it. Maybe they are working on literacy as a class and the books are not so much about reading ability as the ability to do the comprehension.

You still need to talk to the teacher though.

And it doesn't stop your DD reading what she likes at home.

hopingtobe Mon 12-Sep-11 12:26:27

I was going to suggest the same as newtermnewname, Have you asked his teacher?

Snowfire Mon 12-Sep-11 12:33:31

I haven't had a chance to speak to the teacher as yet bit will try and pin him down after school today.
I know (as a school governor) that last years yr6 all did really well in their english SATs so would be surprised if that had anything to do with it, also she has the same teacher as last year (small school) so he is well aware of all their abilities.
I really don't understand what has caused the changes and wanted to canvas opinion before I go in a speak to him.

Niecie Mon 12-Sep-11 12:35:07

Oh well then that is weird.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now