Talk

Advanced search

Teachers: how does your school handle wet days?

(22 Posts)
Euphemia Mon 12-Sep-11 07:05:30

We're facing a day of pouring rain and 70 MPH winds. The pupils will be in all day, and behaviour will suffer.

Does your school do anything creative on wet days? Our pupils are confined to the classroom all day. sad

ravenc Mon 12-Sep-11 07:11:38

Hi im a dinner lady, and on wet cold and windy days we stay in and either watch a dvd or at our school we have indoor weather boxes full of games, cards,colouring in, the little ones have colouring in and games and toys. Just ready for winter terms as brr i hate being out in icy cold weather.

Theas18 Mon 12-Sep-11 08:22:39

"confined to the classroom all day".... Euphemia how else could they cope? THe hall is in use for dinners and there is a school full of children to accommodate.It has to be in the classroom doing stuff that isn't too messy or disruptive.

I'm coming at this from the perspective of a secondary parent, with a primary teaching OH who went to school herself in the year dot......As a parent when they were small if I had them all day at homw and the weather was off we often went out anyway to blow the cobwebs out. Wellies and waterproofs - not a problem. I'd like to think now that a school could ask parents to dress kids appropriately and send them out anyway at least for a short play if it were a long wet day. However I think there would be an up roar about how mean it was and how they'd "catch their death " etc......

Think of my DS who has a class of bouncy 7yr old boys!

Theas18 Mon 12-Sep-11 08:22:58

ETA that should be DH who has a class of 7yr olds!

Groovee Mon 12-Sep-11 09:47:29

my children's school is quite good as we have a dance and drama base, a gym hall and a separate dining hall. The dining hall is good for a class to be split into 2 in the afternoon and some games or circle time being done. Extra time is allocated for the children to get into the gym or dance and drama and burn off excess energy. Our P7's do break/lunch time covers and the play table games or group games in the class, while the learning assistants cover the corridors for any issues or problems.

The nursery I work in have a general purpose room where we can do group games or circle time.

pozzled Mon 12-Sep-11 09:52:22

Confined to the classroom in my school, I'm afraid. Although we try to go out for play as long as it's not actually hammering down, a bit of drizzle is ok.

I'd love to see children being allowed out whatever the weather, if appropriately dressed.

pinkgirlythoughts Mon 12-Sep-11 10:25:43

We don't have a space for them to run around, as the hall is in use for dinners, and we have no other large space, but I do let them run about a bit in the classroom (as much as is safe) to burn off a bit of extra energy. Mind you, I'm the teacher that took my class out for a walk during the snow storms last Christmas, because they were just too boisterous in the classroom. We did a lap of the school field, then had to dash back inside, as it was coming down so heavily no-one could see! About an hour later the Head announced that we were closing early because of the treacherous conditions. grin

blackeyedsusan Mon 12-Sep-11 11:24:28

worked in a deprived school, we took them out whatever the weather, or suffered for it... remember being out there in sleet aand wind, with the rain hitting the back of the "shed" at the sme height it blew in.

when I taught, we used to do as much exercise as possible after wet play, which is not a lot with 30+ kids on the carpet.

munstersmum Mon 12-Sep-11 11:29:10

PinkG good on you. As a parent would back you. Kids are robust.

midnightexpress Mon 12-Sep-11 11:32:57

Ours are stuck indoors. sad. As we're in Scotland, it means a lot of days indoors. They do seem to be getting a bit better about outdoor learning/play, and spent their tesco vouchers on rain gear, but I do wish they'd just stick some waterproofs on them and get out there. Especially the wee ones who have so much energy - we only have a 15 minute walk to school but I really notice the difference in behaviour on days when we drive home and try to walk as much as possible for that reason.

clam Mon 12-Sep-11 11:33:54

We get complaints if we take them out in (even light) rain. And loads of them come in without coats anyway, as they're mostly driven to school.

We went through a phase of showing DVDs in the hall, but got complaints for that too, as they were "watching too much TV" and should be "learning" at school not watching telly.

Can't win.

What do you mean with the creative in italics? Are you asking as a parent or a teacher?

teacherwith2kids Mon 12-Sep-11 14:30:18

In the classrooms (lunchtime), in the hall (morning play).

However, the two youngest classes (up to Year 2) have covered outdoor areas, so they are allowed out there too so it's not TOO bad.

We were doing Victorians in the "spring" term (never was a term more badly named....) so a lot of 10 minute 'Victorian Drill' sessions got included just after wet breaks!

seeker Mon 12-Sep-11 14:32:57

At our school we tried to implement a policy of outside in practically any weather (coats and wellies mandatory) but we were inundated with complaints from parents, so we had to stop. [ sad]

thisisyesterday Mon 12-Sep-11 14:39:49

ds1's school go out whatever the weather. we keep wellies and waterproofs at school for them

Groovee Mon 12-Sep-11 16:04:06

Apparently a number of children were injured on the way into school this morning, and dh just caught ds before he shot across the playground at home time. The school is very open so am glad they weren't allowed out at break times for safety reasons. The winds in Edinburgh are horrific.

Euphemia Mon 12-Sep-11 17:46:33

I'm asking as a teacher; I appreciate that the hall is in use for lunches, but it's not at breaktime. We also have a music room and a spare classroom: I just wondered if other schools have a solution to having the kids cooped up in the same room all day. Sounds like they don't.

We're in the west of Scotland so we have MANY wet days! sad

Euphemia Mon 12-Sep-11 17:47:33

Oooh tell me more about Victorian drill sessions!

mrz Mon 12-Sep-11 19:57:10

We go outside in all but the most extreme weather

Euphemia Mon 12-Sep-11 20:32:07

Who provides suitable clothing and footwear for the pupils?

Honestly, the slightest spit of rain here and they're in all day. sad

UniS Mon 12-Sep-11 20:34:48

MTA ( dinner lady) here. We try and get the children outside for at least some of the time at lunchtime if at all possible. we take them out and keep them out in light drizzle for sure.

mrz Mon 12-Sep-11 20:36:48

We have waterproofs and wellies for the younger children

whatcanbemynewname Tue 13-Sep-11 08:07:26

We also go out unless it is very bad.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now