Talk

Advanced search

Another question about reading levels - moving up levels in Y1

(8 Posts)
Sparetyred Sun 11-Sep-11 22:19:55

I know, and I'm not being neurotic or competitive but I am genuinely interested ......

DS has just gone into year 1. He was moved onto Blue level in May and didn't move up another level before the holidays. I've kept up his reading over the holidays to a certain extent and we have been doing some every night since term started.

I'm genuinely interested how teachers make decision to progress through levels and whether I'm concentrating on the right things with him.

Do they need to be able to read all the words in the books before they move up?
His expression isn't very good but is that important? Would that keep him back?

I don't really want to ask his teacher for fear of being seen as a bit pushy wink

Sparetyred Sun 11-Sep-11 22:20:30

He's using ORT with a few others thrown in.

firstgreatholswiththree Mon 12-Sep-11 00:52:14

In our school the teacher put him up when she had listened to him read. From other threads I know that parents have made notes in the reading record or had a quick word or even asked what does he need to work on.

Sparetyred Mon 12-Sep-11 07:25:01

Yes, I should just ask the teacher shouldn't I! blush

Teacher heard him read this week, presumably she will listen to all of them first, then TA does for a few weeks.

exoticfruits Mon 12-Sep-11 07:42:25

Have a chat-ask what you should be doing when you hear him read. Write comments in his reading record book-get it into a real 2 way communication.

mankyscotslass Mon 12-Sep-11 08:06:34

DS2 has just gone into YR! - he is my 3rd DC, so I know how the school and the teachers there work.

Ours will not move them up til they are fluent and comfortable in the level they are on - this includes using expression and also comprehension.

Have a word with the teacher. smile

Sparetyred Mon 12-Sep-11 08:16:49

Thank you. His comprehension is good, as is his fluency but not much expression. I try to get him to use voices but he's not that kind of boy wink

messybessie Tue 20-Sep-11 21:42:20

Hmm, same problem. I'm going to leave it to the end of this week and then ask in reading diary what we can do at home to help him to the next level.

This evening (unprompted) DS said that he hoped he would move up this week as he's been on this level for months.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now