Talk

Advanced search

moving house summer before dd starts school - how do I manage admissions??

(5 Posts)
amachori Sun 11-Sep-11 12:05:26

Has anyone dealt with this before? Do you just have to inform authority when you have an address in the area and then take whatever place is left, or can you try to persuade them at application time that you will be resident by the start of term even though you are not at present...?

An0therName Sun 11-Sep-11 12:30:05

we moved june - in our local authority we needed a signed tenancy agreement or I think exchange of contract to apply - got that late april and applied there - chose a house to rent near a decent school that had places

exexpat Sun 11-Sep-11 12:37:05

They won't take an application until you are living there, or like anothername said, have tenancy agreement or proof of exchange of contracts.

So if you are not moving till the summer, I am afraid you will be on the waiting list with everyone else, unless you manage to find a house near a good school that has empty reception places - not something that happens anywhere near where I live.

Is there no way you could move earlier, before the applications deadline?

LawrieMarlow Sun 11-Sep-11 12:38:35

We did what AnotherName did - moved in June and before moving I found out which schools would have places for DS who was then in year 1 and DD who was going to start reception in the September. I had a spreadsheet of lots of schools, then made a couple of lightning visits to see slightly fewer of them and managed to put together a house available to rent and a school that I liked. A year and a bit on and it is still the right choice.

cat64 Sun 11-Sep-11 23:56:25

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now