Talk

Advanced search

This reception reading record then....

(4 Posts)
wellthatsdoneit Sat 10-Sep-11 14:23:55

My oldest started reception this week and all week I've been opening his book bag with eager anticipation only to find empty, except for yesterday when there was a little book and a reading record book. Al well and good except at the back there's a checklist of 'words I can read on sight/in context'. What does the on sight / in context bit mean?

Also, should I only check those words which are in the book he's been given to read, or should I check others which I know he can also read (or will that make me look like one if 'those' types of mothers?)

BallantyneBird Sat 10-Sep-11 14:47:24

Probably worth checking with the teacher whether these pages will ever be looked at / assessed / filled in by them.

In DD's reception class they only ever used the reading book to record when the child had done 'guided reading' (reading with the teacher / TA), and for parents to do the same with books taken home. So only the pages with the columns saying 'Date, Book Title, Parent / Teacher Comments' were used.

We filled in some of the other pages at home for our own amusement, but I don't think the teacher took them into account for anything.

DerekDrew Sat 10-Sep-11 16:18:21

On sight will mean can your child read the word out of context, eg, on the list or on a flashcard. In context means she can recognise the word in the text. Often, children will learn the lists of words but be unable to read them when it comes to actually reading the book.

wellthatsdoneit Sun 11-Sep-11 23:45:30

Thank you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now