Talk

Advanced search

teacher hurt six yr old, advice please

(15 Posts)
floosiemcwoosie Fri 09-Sep-11 22:00:45

My six year old ds was really quite coming home from school today. When we were later chatting about his day, he told me teachers had pulled him out of his chair by his shoulders. Told me she had squeezed his shoulders and hurt him.
I cant imagine that this is okay but was looking for more formal advice from some teachers

Feenie Fri 09-Sep-11 22:06:48

Ask the teacher what happened.

Helo Fri 09-Sep-11 22:08:19

I would check carefully what actually happened. Not saying your child is lying but sometimes children can interpret or remember things a little differently to what actually happened. Pulled out of chair by shoulders could be a gentle hand on shoulders to remind him to stand up.

I would have a word with the teacher on Monday.

floosiemcwoosie Fri 09-Sep-11 22:09:13

thanks, but i have questioned him and he is really clear about what happened and how much his right shoulder hurt

Feenie Fri 09-Sep-11 22:12:43

Children can be extremely clear about what happened! That doesn't mean that that's the whole of the story (speaking as a parent of 5.9 year old). I am sure he thinks that's what's occurred - now you need to ask the teacher to clarify. If you aren't happy with her answer, we can advise you further.

floosiemcwoosie Fri 09-Sep-11 22:15:36

so there arent any guidelines re a teacher touching a child?

Helo Fri 09-Sep-11 22:21:50

Not specific ones, usual child protection laws apply, we are told now that we ARE allowed to touch children and in fact should because children need that. Of course is must be appropriate.

Children can be very clear in explaining what happened but that does not mean it is true.

floosiemcwoosie Fri 09-Sep-11 22:23:32

And what if it is true?

handsomeharry Fri 09-Sep-11 22:26:50

I think the best thing to do is to establish the facts. The best thing to do in the first instance is contact the school or teacher with your concern.

Helo Fri 09-Sep-11 22:27:52

You need to speak to the teacher, you can also speak to the head if you feel you need more input into what has happened and they can investigate.

Children can misinterpret things when they have been in trouble. You clearly believe your DS and I don't know him, but I have encountered a few children who have told their parents that I have done x y z to their child (very unkind things) which I have not done at all, but the child has been in trouble that day and they are obviously sad about it and explain their sadness away through a story involving me and their upset at me.

firstgreatholswiththree Fri 09-Sep-11 22:34:39

Most definitely ask the teacher

chill1243 Mon 12-Sep-11 10:49:49

Of course children can misinterpret things. So can teachers. So it needs getting to the bottom of. Plenty of witnesses

clam Mon 12-Sep-11 11:26:49

I heard a child (with challenging behaviour as it happens) gleefully regaling to other children how Miss X had "hit" him. Turns out she was pointing at something and had lightly caught him with her elbow.

Check this out if you must. Although I think I'd let it go for now, but keep it at the back of my mind for future reference if necessary.

DeWe Mon 12-Sep-11 12:52:18

Dd2 was completely convinced her teacher had smacked her once. Knowing the teacher I was sure it hadn't happened She'd run into teachers hand (she shouldn't have been running) when they were bending down to pick something up.

I also as a child witnessed another pupil walking along a bench, being told to get off and they tripped and fell off. Teacher caught them. By then end of the day even some of the witnesses were swearing the teacher (who was generally popular) had pushed the child. If the teacher had pushed them they'd have fallen the other way so it wasn't even a credible story.

Feenie Tue 13-Sep-11 21:11:39

Did you get to the bottom of this, OP?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now