Talk

Advanced search

first week of state school to prep school. Anyone else?

(11 Posts)
tulip27 Fri 09-Sep-11 20:24:36

We moved the children at the end of summer from their lovely state primary to a local prep school.
Now before we get slated this was just something my husband wanted to do for the children as he was indie educated.
This week has been very strange for all of us. Its just so different. Parents are lovely, school seems lovely but we all miss our old friends and old school.
Anyone else in the same boat or anyone who has been?

Celia76 Sat 10-Sep-11 09:04:23

DS 1 finished year 1 in state primary and has just gone into year 2 at local prep with DS2 who has started in reception.

Big changes for DS1! He misses his old friends, and although he loves the masses of sport he now does he realises he is not as good at football etc as the other boys which bothers him.

On a plus point he is being read with every day (opposed to a couple of times a term in last school) and coming home enthused about history and science.

It's natural to be a bit sad at leaving a familiar place I'm sure.

Are your DCs happy in new school?

nokissymum Sat 10-Sep-11 09:14:51

Just moved to prep yr 3 and 6. Theres quite a lot to get your head round, especially what kit they are meant to be wearing for what. Ive also got emails comming out me ears!
Dc seem very happy though, extremely happy. The parents seem really nice and dc2 has already been invited to a party and its today!smile

Celia76 Sat 10-Sep-11 10:18:38

nokissymum DS1 had a party too, we were thrilled and it definitely made going into school on Monday morning easier!

I second you on the uniform thing! PE/Games kit or uniform variations daily....argh

Pagwatch Sat 10-Sep-11 10:33:45

To be honest moving your dc from any school to another one is difficult because of different friends/different parents etc.

You get used to the different kits for every day of the week tbh.
Get used to the idea that they will lose stuff though. And although it may well turn up, it will only be after it is needed again so you do need to replace.
Pain in the ass but there it is.

But it is nice to know that prep school parents are nice. Who knew eh grin

I have dcs at state and private. I have friends who have kids at state and friends who have kids at private. All equally nice tbh.

nokissymum Sat 10-Sep-11 10:55:57

pag there's a lot of negativity about prep parents, prep schools etc on MN, so i didnt quite know what to expect, i've some met very nice parents at state school and some nasty ones too, i'm expecting to be the same at our prep, but so far so good grin

nokissymum Sat 10-Sep-11 11:01:12

celia i'd imagine seeing all the children at the party in a much more relaxed setting will definitely help them settle in quicker, and for the mums to know you. Both of them seem to be raving about " french" lessons at the moment which is suprising as they have both been doing french at their previous schools, ds2 said the teacher "actually speaks" french! I had no idea she didnt confused

tulip27 Sun 11-Sep-11 17:07:25

we have just been to our first party. My dd has settled in so well, my ds who had 2 years at previous school is taking a little longer but I feel like a fish out of water.
I went to the local comp so am unfamiliar with most of the rules and routines that go with prep school. I am just worried that me feeling like this will effect the dc's. I keep smiling and telling them how wonderful it is whilst thinking 'ahh get me out of here'.

KTk9 Tue 20-Sep-11 13:25:02

I hope it is all going OK. We are doing exactly the same, our dd starts at her new Independent school on Monday, from her state primary shock, going into Yr 2.

We are all feeling a bit anxious about the change, so I know how you feel.

Everyone keeps telling me, by half term they will be having a ball and enjoying every minute!!

Off tonight to get the uniform, she has never worn a blouse and tie before, they have only polo shirts. I guess there will be more to get used to than new friends!!!

Theas18 Tue 20-Sep-11 14:47:43

Tee Hee

We have a new prep school start here- DH moving from a local primary to teach yr3!!

So far his head is spinning as he is teaching his class, various yr 3 sets for English and maths, music to different years and science for year 6. Fortunately he doesn't teach PE or I'm sure he'd forget his kit too!

Over all he is loving it but also missing his friends from his old school!

KTk9 Wed 21-Sep-11 00:43:59

lol

Seems like whatever your age, the jump from State to Prep, or any school for that matter is a big one!!

Best of luck to everyone starting into a new environment, young or old.

Maybe we should start a new to Prep school thread!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now