Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

1st week of school - How much work is done?

(26 Posts)
dolphin84 Thu 08-Sep-11 21:58:43

Both dc seem to have very little so far this week. Is this the same for everyone?
I know some people have mentioned reading books. My dc haven't even had these yet.
They went back on Monday. In year 2 and 3

munstersmum Thu 08-Sep-11 22:00:07

DS gone into yr3. No reading book, spellings etc yet but only went back yesterday.

Jesusgirl Thu 08-Sep-11 22:03:40

My ds resumed year 3 on Tuesday and has had 2 reading books already! He has a times table test tomorrow as well!

Collision Thu 08-Sep-11 22:08:12

DS2 got his reading book yesterday

DS1 has had a reading book through the holidays anyway

No homework as it is starting next week inc spellings

Lots and lots of work being done in school though.

EcoLady Fri 09-Sep-11 01:35:11

Often. much of the time during the first few days of a new school year is spent establishing the rules and getting to know the new class. Anyone looking in at the class I was in today would think they were just colouring this afternoon, but it was actually the teacher observing how they work, who stays on task, who doesn't listen, etc. Then they can fine tune their planning to suit.

I'm a PGCE student, with DD in yr5 and DS in yr3. It's fascinating to start to learn how things work from the Other Side.

dolphin84 Fri 09-Sep-11 11:19:52

That makes sense Eco. Oldest did mention that they had talked about cloass rules etc.

AMumInScotland Fri 09-Sep-11 11:27:43

They'll all be focussed on getting to know each other at this stage. Even the ones who are getting reading books will be getting them to help the teacher understand what level they are at, more than to actually learn new stuff.

redskyatnight Fri 09-Sep-11 11:34:45

Both DC (Y1 and Y3, 2 different schools) went back on Wednesday. DS seems to have mainly done "settling in activities". DD has done some work on her topic. Both children have had their reading assessed by their teachers and DS has had to do some maths to assess what set he will be in. We've been told they will have reading books and spellings etc next week.

I get the distinct impression that "normal service" will start next week.

BetsyBoop Fri 09-Sep-11 11:36:30

DD is thoroughly unimpressed with school so far (Y1) as they have hardly done anything & she is "bored, bored, bored" sad

Yesterday for example they did one maths worksheet in the morning (which was apparently really easy & only took her a few minutes so she then sat colouring in the shapes on the worksheet until lunch hmm) and then just some cutting out in the afternoon. They seem to spend a lot of the time sat on the carpet doing nothing (from afternoon break until the home time bell for the last 3 days according to DD) - they are not allowed to talk & the teacher is not speaking/showing anything either - "I just look at the walls" - (they are practising being quiet apparently but there is 50mins from break until home hmm)

If week two carries on in the same vein I will be having words...DD loved school last year...

redskyatnight Fri 09-Sep-11 12:06:49

Betsyboop - Possibly your DD is just reacting to the difference from Reception to Y1? DS spent a lot of time moaning that Y1 was boring when what he actually meant was "I have to sit still and listen to the teacher for longer periods of time than I want to, and I don't get all the free play that I did in Reception". He discounted everything as "nothing" and "boring" (when he meant I didn't want to do it). I find it very hard to believe that a Y1 teacher would expect a class to "practise being quiet" for 50 minutes ...

LorenSorensen Fri 09-Sep-11 12:13:19

DS in Y3, been given spellings and maths homework, plus reading book. English homework on Tues. Times Tables test first day back and being tested again Monday. He's very happy with this.

DD in Y1. Been colouring and playing all week, has been told she will start work next week. Eco's excplanation makes a lot of sense. DD is very happy with this.

DD is August birthday and not well ahead, so I'd be horrified if she was sitting down at a desk doing work from Day 1, tbh.

MrsGravy Fri 09-Sep-11 12:56:26

Betsyboop - that made me grin. My DS - who is in reception, likes to claim that he spent all day 'on the carpet'. He also came out of school on the 2nd day saying that he was 'in school for 100 days'. I am fairly sure neither statement is true...It sounds to me like she is telling you about the significant things in her day but leaving all the rest out, I really can't believe that any school would just make an entire class sit down and be quiet for 50 minutes without any form of learning/interaction.

OP - DD (in Y2) has been doing some timestables, some writing work, learning about space and talking about the class rules apparently. No reading book yet.
DS (in YR) tells me he has been 'playing, crying, then playing'. But I don't expect any work as such for him yet - he's in a Welsh school so reception is spent on language development rather than reading/writing etc.

BetsyBoop Fri 09-Sep-11 13:00:17

redskyatnight I wish you were right, but I fear not. DD is desperate to do anything ATM & loves doing "proper" work at school. She is one of the older ones in her class & mature for her age & "incredibly bright" according to her YR teacher (I think that too of course, but I'm biased grin). Her teacher last year was fantastic at giving her extension activities. DD loves telling me exactly what she's done all day in great detail.

Her Y1 teacher is new to the school so a bit of an unknown quantity, and it's not like anyone can reassure me by saying "Miss X always starts the year like that, but she's a fab teacher, my DC did really well in her class last year"

TBF the 50 minutes yesterday included eating afternoon snack of carrot, crawling round under tables tidying up bits left from the earlier cutting out activity & being sent out to get their coat for home time one at a time, before just sitting waiting for the bell, so they weren't just sat still for the full 50 mins... but hardly a stimulating lesson hmm

Hopefully thinks will get into gear next week...

Elk Fri 09-Sep-11 13:13:17

dd1 (yr 4) has had homework and reading books since day 1 (1st Sept). Her new teacher has discovered her love of horses and has brought in all her daughters old pony books for dd to read.

dd2 (yr 1) has had her reading level reassessed twice!! and has had a reading book each night since Monday. Since Tuesday she has had handwriting practise but hasn't done it as her teacher says not to bother if they don't want to and she doesn't.

Elk Fri 09-Sep-11 13:17:52

oops forgot that dd1 had a spelling test on Monday and did really badly according to her, that normally means that she got 10/12.
They have been running a full timetable so I have been told all about recycling, how she loves her new art teacher and on and on.

dd2 is alot less forthcoming about what she does but thinks lessons just interfere with reading time.

dolphin84 Fri 09-Sep-11 15:01:53

Lost last post. I think main concern is with reading. Neither child has even been listened to yet and have been on the same level for ages. From history the school is a little lax in assessing reading and dd is a little behind.
Hopefully it will be done today or Monday.

BusterGut Fri 09-Sep-11 23:00:48

We did GCSEs this week. I'm surprised that no-one else has.

jamdonut Sat 10-Sep-11 10:37:50

I'm surprised that people expect schools to dive straight into hard work. Its a new class for the teacher and support staff,and therefore new to the children,whatever age they are. They've just had 6 weeks at home and need to be eased into the school routine again. There is a lot of assessing going on,and it takes time to sort out if you want to get it right. We've just had 3 days of rules , report writing, assessing reading,phonics and maths. This mostly has to be done on-to-one,so the children are doing other activities whilst the teacher and I get on with that. It needs to be something that they csn do without too much help,therefore art,or things that need colouring do tend to feature strongly.Then they get some "choosing time" when those tasks are completed. Next week will be different.

adelaofblois Sat 10-Sep-11 17:39:55

Yr3 at our school have worked a full school week to curriculum, with new junior rules established from the start. We as teachers feel it's a transition-lots of consultation with Yr2 colleagues-and we know it is for kids, but there is little space to spend time of 'settling in' (nor is it necessarily effective to allow it).

But we haven't sent any homework home yet because much of the week has been spent assessing levels for differentiated work. And reading books didn't go home until Thursday because we were still assessing levels.

Basically, we can't win-send home work at the wrong level and they'll be a thread, don't send it home until we have the level and they'll be a thread.

Elibean Sat 10-Sep-11 19:40:47

dd1 started back last Monday (Y3) and work started on Tuesday, as per curriculum. Monday was 'getting to know you' stuff, mostly, as new teacher and big step to Juniors.

Homework this week is set, but its only decorating the front of their homework book grin

cece Sat 10-Sep-11 19:44:41

DS1 is Year 3. The rest of his class brought their reading books home on Friday but apparently he could choose and "I chose not to bring mine home as it is boring" hmm

He also has sciene homework to do this weekend.

DD is in Year 6 and she brought home 5 pieces of homework on Friday plus spellings and reading.

I am a Year 6 teacher and gave mine homework on the first day [mean teacher grin]

LawrieMarlow Sat 10-Sep-11 19:56:23

DS in year 3 and has had reading level assessed and given spellings for next week and also maths homework for next week. Had some informal homework during last week as well.

DD in year 1 has had new reading books (although I think we have to follow ORT rigidly now whereas had banded boxes in reception) and has definitely been doing "work". Have parents meeting for her on Monday (had DSs on Thursday). Both of rhem thrive on learning new things so all good so far smile

insanityscatching Sun 11-Sep-11 08:25:45

Dd in yr4 seems to have hit the ground running. She has had a reading assessment, been given homework, given the term's spelling lists, knows the term's topics etc It's like she has never been away grin

disney84 Sun 11-Sep-11 20:35:27

Not done much is class but we have had some homework. Not sure if reading levels have been assessed yet. Hopefully books will come home tomorrow.

mamaduckbone Mon 12-Sep-11 00:06:18

DS1 had a reading book on the first day and 'learning together' journal for the weekend (y1)
My class (y5/6) haven't had any homework yet apart from reading books but will this week. We've done a times tables test and it was business as usual as far as class work is concerned after the first day.
BetsyBoop I'd suggest that if you believe only half of what your child says happened at school, then your child's teacher should only believe half of what she hears about what you do at home. Children do 'adapt' the truth a bit y'know...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now