Talk

Advanced search

DD struggling to read - not sure what teacher meant when he said there may be something else going on!

(11 Posts)
whyme2 Thu 08-Sep-11 21:21:37

Dd is 6.5 and now in year 2. When I collected her today the teacher asked if he could have "a quick word" He then went on to explain how he thought dd's reading did not match with her ability in other areas.

The example he used was that as she was reading, dd had to decode every word each and every time she came across it even if the word was in the previous sentence or was one they had practised to be read on sight. He then went on to ask if I had noticed this ( I had ) and then he said there may be some underlying problem but didn't elaborate. I was a bit shocked really because I know dd is a bright girl. I am kicking myself because i didn't ask what the teacher meant.

Does anyone know what the teacher meant? I am now really worried. sad

beautifulgirls Thu 08-Sep-11 21:30:23

At a guess perhaps dyslexia? If the teacher hasn't already suggested it then ask to be referred to the school SENCO and have a chat about where to go from here to get this looked into.

I know it's hard but don't panic - lots is done in schools today to support children with difficulties. The fact she is doing well in other areas suggests she still has a bright future.

whyme2 Thu 08-Sep-11 21:40:20

I thought surely he can't be talking about dyslexia because she was keeping up with everything else. But perhaps he was.
Actually my first thought was it is just a residual effect from some hearing loss she has suffered and now she has grommets she is catching up. I did ask the teacher this and he didn't seem to think this was the problem.

We (school and home) are going to monitor her reading skills over the next two weeks and see how things are. I am only slightly panicking now.

Jesusgirl Thu 08-Sep-11 22:12:56

It might just be a habit she has learnt. If she's doing well in other areas. Maybe she just got used to decoding.

It's probably not the same but I try to emphasise starting sounds with my nearly 3 year old and so I point to pictures and say something like c-c-cat, she started pointing to real cats and saying 'look mum, that's a c-c-cat'grin

I think speak to the teacher and let him explain what he really means and take it from there.

singalongamumum Thu 08-Sep-11 22:18:19

I am a teacher and I think he is talking about some specific learning difficulty or delay. This might mean dyslexia, but could also mean something unnamed, just a specific difficulty in this area. Dyslexia itself is a spectrum, and can affect people in different ways so don't panic. Any identification of a problem will be carefully made (he sounds like a great teacher) and a support programme put in place. It doesn't mean your daughter is not bright- Richard Branson is dyslexic. HTH

mummytime Thu 08-Sep-11 22:27:32

Lots of very very bright people are dyslexic. If it is dyslexia it sounds as if it is the less common form, but at least he's noticed and is going to get her help.
Don't panic.

sillybillies Fri 09-Sep-11 07:34:30

I was thinking dyslexia as well. Plenty of bright people with dyslexia. I've taught some excellent students with dyslexia in my A level classes. If she is identified the support should help her achieve her potential.

whyme2 Fri 09-Sep-11 17:50:45

Thank you for your replies everyone. I do feel a bit easier about the whole thing now. I suppose I was a bit shocked because all my dcs have all been healthy and fairly problem free really grin

I know the school is very good at putting support into place as we had an issue with my other daughter which was picked up very quickly and help made available for her.

I am going to sit with over the weekend and try and spot the things the teacher mentioned. At least then I can go back to him with my own perspective IYSWIM.

mummytime what did you mean by the less common form ? Sorry but I know nothing about dyslexia really.

lilham Fri 09-Sep-11 18:34:33

Want to say one of my previous bosses have a phd (in engineering) and is dyslexic. He still can't spell without the autocorrection on though. grin

Ferguson Fri 09-Sep-11 22:49:13

Hi

I was a primary TA ten years, and now a voluntary helper particularly supporting reading in Yrs 2/3/4. It may not be as dramatic as others imply, and could just be she finds it reassuring to sound out each time, or that's what previous teachers wanted, so she's 'sticking with it'!

It does take some children quite a long time to realise they can just 'say' a word if they know it, and not have to 'sound' it, though I do agree by Yr 2 (but she's only JUST in Yr2) many have reading under control.

Could you not ask her previous teacher? And I would have expected previous and current teachers to have discussed children as they moved up a year: maybe lots of schools are too busy for that.

Hope it resolves well for you all.

whyme2 Sat 10-Sep-11 06:15:32

Ferguson her previous teacher is on maternity leave now (and was at the end of last term) although I did ask her current teacher if he was aware of hearing problems and said that he had read her file and was aware so some info is passed on.

It is good to know that it could be something or nothing. Thank you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now