Talk

Advanced search

Is there an ORT style banding for numeracy?

(5 Posts)
BlondieMum01 Thu 08-Sep-11 21:00:49

My six year old son is at a special needs school. For a number of reasons, this is his first experience of full time schooling.
His reading is really coming along, and we're in a good patterns of reading every night together.
I would now like to start to attack numeracy. I am after information of some kind of structured numeracy program: something like the Oxford Reading Tree or New Way books, but for numeracy, would be great.

Any advice or suggestions or even just lists of what your child has used would be great - from children in special needs or mainstream schooling. We are new to the UK so I do not have any experience of what children here use.

Many thanks for any advice.

AbigailS Sat 10-Sep-11 10:28:42

I'm glad your son is settling into schooling and doing well with reading. I'm not sure exactly what you are asking for regarding the maths. There are not the minute levels of progression available in "off the shelf" books. You can buy WHSmiths or Letts type books, but I doubt they will meet your son's needs at the moment.
This site might give you some curriculum information:
webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/20110202093118/http://nationalstrategies.standards.dcsf.gov.uk/primary/primaryframework/mathematicsframework.

None of these are my school school, but I find the links / leaflets useful for the parents of children in my class:
cfd.e2bn.net/e2bn/leas/c99/schools/cfd/General%20Information/Parents%27%20Maths%20-%20Booklet%202008/

www.colebourneprimary.co.uk/edit/resources/mathsbooklet_for_parents.pdf

www.downs-way.surrey.sch.uk/booklets/Maths_booklet_for_parents.pdf

This range of leaflets has one for each term in each year, but I can't find the link to the full set:
www.meadowvaleprimary.co.uk/page/?title=Maths+Booklets~A+guide+for+parents&pid=80

Hope that helps.

BlondieMum01 Sat 10-Sep-11 20:54:20

That is an incredibly helpful post. Thank you. I have found some wonderful resources in those National Archives, but I do find them difficult to negotiate unless you know exactly what you are looking for.
We do 10-15 minutes of 'guided' reading every night - he reads to me from a set of readers, or from other texts. I would like to add in 5-10 minutes of daily conversation about a specific math based topic. More, less, how many, ordering, odds and evens, simple addition/subtraction etc but I am not as comfortable with structuring his learning in this area: the first link will be particularly useful.

If anyone can recommend some good workbooks to support early writing/learning skills in maths, that would be great, too smile

belindarose Sat 10-Sep-11 21:05:18

I suggest looking into 'numicon' (google will find it). Brilliant resources for learners with all kinds of SEN and excellent, well structured activity ideas that would help you and your son.

IndigoBell Sun 11-Sep-11 09:28:01

Perhaps buy any KS1 workbook, that will tell you all the topics.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now