Talk

Advanced search

having operation during school time

(11 Posts)
griffalo2 Thu 08-Sep-11 09:22:20

Ds is due to have hydrocele operation in just over a weeks time,what do I say to school?
Consultant said he will need a week to two weeks off school after,do I ask for work to take home? I really dont want him falling behind,but I dont want to 'bother' the teacher.
Do I tell teacher details of op? Eg. What hes having done.

WWYD?

2BoysTooLoud Thu 08-Sep-11 09:36:23

I would let the teacher know in writing. You will have to inform the school anyway. I am sure they will be happy to set work for him if he feels up to it.
Hope all goes smoothly.

mummytime Thu 08-Sep-11 10:39:25

I would also talk to the teacher. How old is he? He is unlikely to "fall behind" at this age, but if a new concept is gong to be introduced, maybe the teacher can help him with it either before or after his absense.
Personally I wouldn't want to know the details, other than how it will affect him at school when he comes back and whether it will have any effect (positive or negative) on his learning.

Kiggy Thu 08-Sep-11 13:40:47

Depending on how long your son is in hospital he may be set work by the hospital teacher. Where I work all children on the ward for 3 days or more are seen by the teachers (in term time) and shorter stays have the option to access the teaching room if they wish.

meditrina Thu 08-Sep-11 13:50:23

I would talk to the teacher (as well as letting the school know about the medical absence formally in writing).

S/he will appreciate the advance warning of a lengthy absence, and will be a good source of advice on how to keep in in touch with the class (socially as well as academically). You should also agree what his classmates could be told - they might even send a hand made class card or emails (great for keeping in touch, as well as for everyones reading and writing). You might want to think about a supply of reading books and a simple project or two (won't really matter if it's not done, but gives you the option - especially on days when "I'm BORED Mummy") or other things that might nit occur to you.

I hope the operation goes well and he recovers quickly.

griffalo2 Thu 08-Sep-11 14:25:15

Your advice is great help thank you.
I didnt think of writing a letter,i think thats what I will do.should I do it this week or leave it till next?

2BoysTooLoud Thu 08-Sep-11 14:41:07

I think get a letter in by Friday if you can to give the school a chance to talk to you if they need to. Monday if not Friday should give them time to talk to you.
Hope all goes well.

JellyBelly10 Thu 08-Sep-11 16:12:46

My DS had an operation in January that required him to be in hospital for a week and in plaster casts and wheelcahir for a further 8 weeks. I made sure the school were fully aware both in writing and face to face about what he would be going through, how long he would be offa nd what special care he would need when he got back to school. While he was in hospital he attended "hospital school" on the ward and when he got back and was at home for 3 weeks he had a home tutor who was supplied by the local authority at the suggestion of the school (ie the headteacher had contacted the council and set it up for us). The home tutor only came for 5 hours a week but it was good as it agve a bit of focused time to learn while he was at home and he looked forward to her coming. So yes, you need to let the school know as soon as possible, put it in writing but also talk to his teacher.

PonceyMcPonce Thu 08-Sep-11 16:18:35

My dd had an op a week or so ago, and spent a good two days just getting over the anathestic. Then a gradual return to normality (well nearly, still need stitches out).

Two weeks is not longer than an absence for chicken pox really, but worth giving hsi class a chance to spoil him!!

fwiw dds experience was fantastic - literally pain and fear free, so she wrote a really good diary entry about it complete with photos, samples of her wristband etc which I was a good way of keeping switched on

good luck - I am afraid I dont know what kind of op that is.

EssW2 Thu 08-Sep-11 16:19:13

Put it in writing to the school that your ds will be off for an operation with details as to how it may effect him when he returns etc. Then ask for a chat with his teacher next week and discuss whether there should be any work or how to help him keep his skills up to date.

The absence won't be too prolonged - I would help him relax and convalesce, and keep up his friendships and not introduce school work unless he is bored and completely capable of doing it at home.

I hope all goes well - fingers crossed for him.

HattiFattner Thu 08-Sep-11 16:25:18

my DS is scheduled for an op in October - I've written a note to head and to class teacher asking if they could set work for him to do, but also accepting that I didnt want to put the teacher to much trouble. We are fortunate in that his classmate lives a couple of doors down, and so we could do a daily assignment if necessary. Teacher has already responded that she will be happy to set some work for him.

My only real concern is Maths, as its an area where he quickly loses confidence.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now