Talk

Advanced search

How do you keep track of what's going on?!

(11 Posts)
3littlebears Wed 07-Sep-11 17:12:52

First week back and already I feel like I'm drowning in paperwork and unable to keep up (I'm not a teacher, just a parent!) Homework for each child on different days for different subjects, after school clubs , suggested websites etc etc - I know I'm going to lose track and descend into chaos (again). Help! I know that everyone else is so much more organised than me, so please can you share your top tips for keeping up with schoolwork, homework etc and generally provide any help with organising our lives! Every year I invent new systems which everyone soon ignores and we end up doing a maths sheet 5 mins before school in the morning. Make me a better mother. Thank you.

cece Wed 07-Sep-11 17:14:52

Come home, have snack and drink and then do homework straight away.

newtermnewname Wed 07-Sep-11 17:18:43

How many children?
Which year groups?
Help from OH with it?

madamarcati Wed 07-Sep-11 17:23:12

Well it's your children's responsibility to rememeber to do i really, that's kind of teh point.
I would explain this to the school and let them punish the dc if they don't get it in on time.

Sam100 Wed 07-Sep-11 17:24:14

I have one of these on the fridge and update at weekend here.

If they don't do their homework on the allotted day after being reminded at least once then I don't chase anymore and just write in the diary - "X was reminded and still did not do their homework" - they might forget once but they don't again! wink

newtermnewname Wed 07-Sep-11 17:27:21

Hang on a sec, the OP's DC might be in infants! give them a bit of a break!

IndigoBell Wed 07-Sep-11 17:45:47

I have a piece of paper on the fridge which lists the days of the week and what after school activities we have.

sleepwouldbenice Wed 07-Sep-11 21:38:35

I also pull together a 7 day list of (a) when can do different types of homework (b) what needs to go into school each day which I will pull together when we are told whats what about homework, school clubs etc - for use by us and the kids!

I also use a normal paper diary just for recording family things in - school trips, dentist, when clubs and general activities start, finish, assemblies, shows, when my parents are on hols so can plan childcare cover and make a note of what I've arranged, parties etc - I can seen whats coming then and remember where I am up to (note - MAJOR panic when I lose it!)

Deal with all paperwork the day you get it - today was 2 kids clubs, school trip and dance class forms - send forms back and put details in diary. If lots of info (eg school trip requirements) then put on pin board as well so can retrieve closer to time

Hope this helps - my 2nd about to start school so it will up a level!!!!

mankyscotslass Thu 08-Sep-11 07:09:36

I have 3 DC at primary school, 2 in Juniors, 1 in infants.

I Have a wall planner for activities/parties/project work from school.

Any other home work, I check the book bags as soon as they get in, and it has to get done as soon as they get in and have had snack.

Readig I hear every day for the younger 2 anyway.

Seona1973 Thu 08-Sep-11 08:12:26

I have a calendar on the wall in the kitchen which has one column for each of us (me, dh and 2 kids) - the after school stuff, school trips, school holidays, gym days, etc are all listed on it. Homework is done straight after school when the kids have had a snack.

CustardCake Thu 08-Sep-11 08:31:59

We have the immediate homework rule as well. They have a drink and snack whilst I go through their school bags and then I give them each their homework to complete and I sign letters that need signing and put them straight back in the bag.
Its fatal to take anything out of school bags and leave it in the kitchen to sign later and its easier to do homework as it arrives rather than just before its due.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now