Advanced search

Do state schools require a qualified teacher for each class?

(17 Posts)
bond1 Wed 07-Sep-11 11:23:15

Just that. Thank you

IndigoBell Wed 07-Sep-11 11:25:10


SugarSkyHigh Wed 07-Sep-11 11:31:36

yes but I think perhaps private schools do not.

Blu Wed 07-Sep-11 11:34:49

Unless by State Schools you mean academies or Free Schools, yes.

Like private schools Academies and Free Schools are able to choose to employ unqualified teachers. I think.

bond1 Wed 07-Sep-11 11:37:36

Thought so.

rocketty Wed 07-Sep-11 11:38:07

But in reception, I thought an EYFS professional would do, rather than having to be a teacher?

admission Wed 07-Sep-11 14:10:36

The general answer is yes, but there are circumstances where it might not be a qualified school teacher for a period fo time.
Are you talking about permanent teacher in class or a short term situation or one lesson ?

bond1 Wed 07-Sep-11 14:59:13


cornsylk Wed 07-Sep-11 15:00:21

tell us what's happened....<nosy>

bond1 Wed 07-Sep-11 15:09:42

Just heard a rumour that a teacher was not qualified. Think its probably false.

TwoGirlsNowNoSleep Thu 08-Sep-11 21:20:43

As far as I know, teachers qualified in Non-European countries, eg Australia, count as not qualified and are allowed to teach here for a couple of years before they need to have QTS here. And teachers in their training, NQTS, GTPs are not qualified yet, but have a mentor and will have the qualification by the end of the year. Not sure if that helps?

Feenie Thu 08-Sep-11 21:46:57

No, rocketty - in Reception there must a qualified teacher with QTS.

pinkgirlythoughts Fri 09-Sep-11 18:48:00

Also, my mum apparently works with a couple of teachers who are now nearing retirement age, having entered the profession before the requirement for all teachers to have a teaching qualification. So if it's a reasonably old teacher, they could be unqualified, but still extremely experienced.

Feenie Fri 09-Sep-11 19:03:09

They would be qualified, pinkgirlythoughts - but they might not have a degree, but a Certificate in Education instead.

meditrina Fri 09-Sep-11 19:08:06


They can have trainees, but only those from recognised training programmes (like Teach First - where they get 6 weeks, I think, before being released into the classroom).

pinkgirlythoughts Fri 09-Sep-11 19:08:37

I don't know if it would have to be a certificate in education, necessarily- my exDP's mum used to work as a teacher with an art degree, but no specific teaching qualification. She's young enough to still be working now, if she hadn't stopped to have her children.

exoticfruits Fri 09-Sep-11 19:09:34

In a state school -yes ,but not in a private school.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: