Talk

Advanced search

soon moving to IRISH PRIMARY SYSTEM from UK - advice needed

(16 Posts)
HelloMyNameIsHilda Wed 07-Sep-11 10:07:00

I'm soon moving back to Ireland after almost 20 years in London (blimey -where did that time go?) and my kids will be going into the Irish state system

can someone please advise on best classes for each of them to enter. DD1 particularly asked that she NOT be the eldest in her class (wtf?)

DD1 turned 9 in June and is entering yr 5 in UK system this term
DD2 turned 6 last April and just entering year 2

the Irish head teacher I spoke to seemed a bit addled but thought probably senior infants for DD2 and 3rd class for DD1. Does that sound about right or too low?

I have no idea on the ages per class in Ireland as you can tell!

bran Wed 07-Sep-11 10:34:31

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

HelloMyNameIsHilda Wed 07-Sep-11 10:42:26

thanks so much bran, and glad to hear things are working out well for you all [did you go somewhere rural btw? we are and I am intrigued to think how it might work out]

interesting what you say - I think for sure 1st class for DD2 then, she is a very able pupil and loves learning, very engaged. also physically big and mentally/emotionally mature.

DD1 I might just put into 3rd class still, will discuss with headteacher again. She is an able pupil too, but slighter, smaller and more sensitive. Might benefit from another year at primary I reckon, with less pressure. Think I'd prefer her to be a just turned 13 starter at secondary rather than a just turned 12. Also she could probably do with the space to try to get up to speed with the Irish language side of things.

Thanks again

GloriaVanderbilt Wed 07-Sep-11 10:50:06

I'm impressed with the sound of this system,. it sounds very child centred.

Thanks for giving me a different perspective to read about and good luck smile

bran Wed 07-Sep-11 11:22:27

sqweegiebeckenheim Wed 07-Sep-11 11:54:46

www.rollercoaster.ie might be a good source of information, as well as www.schooldays.ie to find out about different schools.

As far as I know, the department of ed are trying to crack down on children not being placed alongside their same age peers. I would second Bran's suggestion re. Irish language tuition for the older DC.

Senior Infants = Y1. So your little one should be going into 1st class in Ireland. I would have thought for a child going into Year 5 here, they would best be placed in 4th class, not 3rd class?

https://www.easonschoolshop.com/category/Primary
Eason is the WHSmith of Ireland, and they supply school books. You could order a few workbooks for the classes you are thinking of placing your kids in and take it from there.

bran I'm interested why kids in Year 1 would be more advanced academically than kids who have just finished Senior Infants. Don't let the 'infants' tag fool you! Junior and Senior Infant classes seem to have a lot more teaching input than Reception and Y1 over here.

Hilda the one thing that will be very different will be the amount of homework they get. Irish schools get a fair bit more homework than English schools. Spellings in Irish and English !

bran Wed 07-Sep-11 12:47:02

HelloMyNameIsHilda Wed 07-Sep-11 20:55:20

thanks all - have asked question on rollercoaster too - thanks for that I didn't know about it - there is only one primary school locally so that's where they'll be going smile

NOT looking forward to increased homework DD1 already hates that and that's at a london school that doesn't really give any!

JohnStuartMills Wed 07-Sep-11 22:48:08

If going into Y5, equivalent is 4th class. Will be amongst oldest cohort in class.

Eggs Wed 07-Sep-11 23:25:29

I have just moved from Ireland to London two weeks ago so am in your situation, but over here! I would go to third class with your 9 year old. My daughter is nine and just finished third class, many in her class turned 10 in the summer term so no way would your 9 year old be the eldest. Good luck with it all. I am having a nightmare trying to get mine sorted here. Looking for year 5 and year 1 spaces in Greenwich not having much luck.

InstructionsToTheDouble Wed 07-Sep-11 23:32:24

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

HelloMyNameIsHilda Thu 08-Sep-11 10:46:33

JSM - that doesn't sound right - I'd have thought she'd be one of the younger ones in 4th class but one of the oldest if we put her into third - she turns ten next June 2012

eggs - thanks for that - and good luck with your school search - I'm in SE london too so not far from you - but not quite in greenwich - hope it's going well apart from the school nightmare

Instructions - that is a very kind offer and would be much appreciated - let me know if you can find it smile

InstructionsToTheDouble Sat 10-Sep-11 09:46:36

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

reluctantearlymorningriser Sat 10-Sep-11 11:32:02

Just had a look through some 4th class lists and it is a mix of 2001 and 2002 birth dates. I would be inclined to go with 4th Class. The issue is slightly confusing as there is one less year in Primary school in the UK. If she stayed in the UK she would have two more years in Primary school, if you put her in 3rd class she will have four more years in Primary school.

If I was planning work for 4th class and wanted to use UK resources, I would mainly use year 4 objectives and material, occasionally year 5. I have on occasion used year 3 maths resources to introduce a topic. The approach to maths is different here too. You will find that children are introduced to formal written methods quicker in Ireland.

With your younger daughter, I would look at the age range of the class you want to put her in. Had she started school in Ireland, she could have gone at 4 years 4 months or 5 years 4 months. That would have been your choice. Some send at 4, some at 5. It varies from school to school. She has completed the Senior Infants Maths and English curriculum in Year One and a little extra. Perhaps consider her maturity and how well she has engaged with what she has learned.

Here is a link to the NCCA guide for parents. There is a link to a DVD in the primary section, maybe that is the one ITTD is going to send?

www.ncca.ie/en/Curriculum_and_Assessment/Parents/

InstructionsToTheDouble Sat 10-Sep-11 16:19:22

elah11 Sat 10-Sep-11 16:35:08

Hilda, my ds2 just turned 10 in Aug and is gone into 4th class. He would be in the middle agewise in his class, as he started school aged 5 and 2 weeks. My dd was 5 in feb and is in Senior Infants, started school at 4 and 6 mths.
Another good site to ask questions in is Magicmum and is a better site than rollercoaster imo, its more friendly and fastmoving.
Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now