Advanced search

how and when to search for a place for my children inschool

(6 Posts)
omyageen Wed 07-Sep-11 06:18:21

we are living and working abroad for long time now we decided to go back and settle in uk but due to many reasons we will be there next january my children ages are 11,8 can anyone tell me how to enroll them in a school in uk and which schools are better I might settle in lancaster - not yet decided - but any how what is the procedure

prh47bridge Wed 07-Sep-11 06:53:10

You apply to the local authority, in this case Lancashire County Council. They are responsible for coming up with places for your children. You will be able to say which schools you prefer for each child but there is no guarantee you will get into them. If they are already full your children will be offered places elsewhere, although you can then appeal for your preferred schools if you wish. Lancashire will want evidence that you are moving to a particular address in the area before they process your application - a letter from a solicitor confirming exchange of contracts or a signed rental agreement.

mummytime Wed 07-Sep-11 07:15:21

Just to add, you will have missed the normal round of admission for secondary school, so will have to apply as a late applicant.

omyageen Wed 07-Sep-11 09:41:35

Thanks all
about my 11 yrs where can i find good teaching materials to prepare him for the national test - to enter secondary education

PatriciaHolm Wed 07-Sep-11 09:56:09

There isn't a nationwide test to enter state secondary. A few areas operate a grammar school system, whereby pupils take a test (the 11+) in order to gain a place at a Grammar school, whilst some other schools (academies) can ask pupils to sit aptitude/ability banding tests. Lancashire has a small handful of grammars (i can find 3 that take boys i think). If you just want him to go to a local state school, there is no need to take a test.

Unfortunately, for entry into secondary school in Sept 2012, the 11+ is normally taken before Christmas this year, so you will miss the deadline. I believe you can take it late if you are moving into the area and missed the exam date though, but you would have to double check.

PatriciaHolm Wed 07-Sep-11 10:06:03

Actually - if he's already 11, he might already be in secondary here. Was he 11 before Sept 1? If so, then he would go straight into Yr7, the first year of secondary, in January. If he was 11 since then, he'll be in Yr 6.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: