Talk

Advanced search

What info can education department give out on primary school places given?

(5 Posts)
KATC2010 Tue 06-Sep-11 21:28:19

I think I recall seeing a post previously whereby you can request info. on the allocation of the previous years admissions to a particular school, such as the furthest distance away from the school and other basis of allocation such as church places etc? Is this correct?

I am due to apply for a place for my DS in the next few months for 2012 admission but the 3 schools that I want are all oversubscribed and not in my catchment area.

I would be interested in finding out this info. if it is possible as it may help me to refine my choices in the hope of getting one that I want.

The info. that they print/have online tells you the PAN, people who put it down as 1st, 2nd and 3rd choice and number of places allocated/appeals and outcome. Is this the only info. that I can request or can I request the additional info?

TIA!

admission Tue 06-Sep-11 21:50:49

There is no reason why you cannot ask the admission office under which admission criteria the last place was offered and the distance this was from the school. They should supply you with this information.
The other thing to say is that if you do not put your catchment school down as a preference (assuming that being in catchment is an admission criteria) then you run a risk of not getting an offer of a school if your prefered schools are oversubscribed.

dreadbacktoschool Wed 07-Sep-11 13:31:59

My authority will tell you verbally the distance of the child at the top of the waiting list for the previous years allocation ie in the April when places have been allocated but wouldnt say the distance of the last child to get a place!!

They also emailed me when requested the distance of a number of postcodes from the school as they measure it which could have been used for renting or buying the nearest property though I was just interested on what my distance and my friends were compared to the previous years cut off.

CustardCake Wed 07-Sep-11 14:10:32

The schools themselves can often tell you the last distance offered in the last year. We have rung schools before to find out and they always know.

If you only have three choices then you really need to make sure one of them is a safe choice. If you find out that you live further than the last distance offered for all 3 of your preferred schools, you really should think twice about putting all three down on your form. Put your first and second choice as the ones you really want and use your third choice for a local school that you would definitely get into. If you don't you will end up being allocated the school nearest to you that has places spare which might not be that local and might not be that good.

KATC2010 Wed 07-Sep-11 14:46:09

Thanks for replies.

I think the 3 that we are thinking of applying for are 3 of the 4 closest schools to us except the catchment school which I do not want to apply for due to a TERRIBLE experience with my oldest DS. I realise this could end up with no place but I would genuinely rather no place than the catchment school.

As we are quite rural once you omit the local catchment school all of the village schools are all over 2 miles away. BTW they are all faith schools which is the basis for our application. The catchment school is a community school.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now