Talk

Advanced search

Teachers: Could I get some advice about reading with DS? (7yo and yr 3)

(16 Posts)
youarekidding Tue 06-Sep-11 21:25:52

Hi, I've come for the usual wise words of advice.

My DS was 7yo only 2 weeks ago and has just started Juniors in year 3.

He left Infants with 2B in reading so doing fine. smile

He has bought home 2 reading books today. 1 is an ORT one called 'The magic key - code calling'. Based on characters and mostly HF words and DS read it well and built other words up fairly easily.

He also bought home a Horrid Henry book which he'd filled in on his reading record as the one to read. He said though he was meant to read the other one (ORT) as it was the stickered book (no sticker but made sense as a scheme book iyswim?) Anyone know what level this book is aimed at? DS said it was white sticker?

The Horrid Henry book is too hard for him to read alone so I read it and he did Henry's speech. Is this OK? It meant he was reading some but I really think he'll go back to refusal if I push it? Is there still value in them following words and joining in where they can, enjoying the book at this age or should I be encouraging him to read it all to me?

My friends DD who was a level 3 reader has been reading Horrid Henry for a few months but she is 8yo in December and it seems to me a big jump for him to make?

He loves Horrid Henry and often chooses them from our local library for me to read to him so I don't want to encourage him to chose something easier if there's still value in what I did tonight. I am hoping as he enjoys these books it'll give him the encouragement to improve so he can read them alone?

TIA.

plinkplonk Tue 06-Sep-11 21:30:17

As a parent, I think that sounds great. Teaching your children to enjoy reading is the best thing you can do imo.

youarekidding Tue 06-Sep-11 21:35:47

Thanks plink that's reasurring. I do want him to progess but at a rate he can cope with iyswim?

plinkplonk Tue 06-Sep-11 21:39:43

My dss rarely reads. Looking back, I think we didn't do enough to encourage him or make it fun. We just assumed it would come naturally because we are a family of readers, have loads of books etc.

I am quite sad that we didn't pick up on this until it was too late. So I really think that having a boy who enjoys books is a great achievement. What school level he is on is pretty irrelevant imo.

hockeyforjockeys Tue 06-Sep-11 21:39:46

Assuming the school follows the standard book banding colours, white is roughly a 2a - so perfectly reasonable at an instructional level if he was last formally assessed at a 2b (I don't use the ORT scheme so don't know the particular book!). As for reading the Horrid Henry book you are definitely doing the right thing. The storyline is pitched perfectly at his age group, so even though he doesn't have the reading level to access it independently it's great he can enjoy it with you. As he continues to improve in his reading ability he will want to read them alone. You're showing him that reading is something you can do for pleasure, not just a mechanical skill, and having books he loves will encourage him to read more and improve at the same time.

Your DS's reading ability is completely normal for his age, your friend's DD is above average if she is able to read at that level. He will get there soon!

My advice is to keep doing what you're doing - have a mixture of independent 'instructional' books as well as harder ones he likes that you can share together.

aries12 Tue 06-Sep-11 21:40:08

Level 2B is good, it is exactly where he should be, continue with the Horrid Henry even if it means you are helping. Your Ds will soon make that jump and be able to read them himself. Try also all the Roald Dahl books.

youarekidding Tue 06-Sep-11 21:51:30

Thanks.

Yes I am aware my friends DD is above average, she is very acedemic, and that's why I thought it was too much for my DS as he is where he should be not beyond iyswim. He can read the words but he has to build up so many of them it takes away the fluency and the story - does that make sense?

I'm glad it's OK for me to do this. I was worried the teacher may think I'm being to PFB and soft with DS. He did read to me first and then we shared the story. I just wanted it to be about word recognition - so him seeing and hearing the words - as much as it was about him reading.

Oh and Roald Dahl - I have a few old ones of mine about - I think I may try reading him Fantastic Mr Fox - I love that story. grin I've never thought of them being suitable for him now.

blackeyedsusan Tue 06-Sep-11 22:07:56

I would let him read it, but you fill in any of the words he doesn't know as there are a lot. go back later and look at a few of the easier unknown word and see if he can work them out. lots of discussion about what do you think will happen/ how are people feeling etcis also part of reading.

don't forget thaat she is a lot older than him and he may be reading as well when he is the same age.

youarekidding Wed 07-Sep-11 17:58:50

DS changed hid Horrid Henry book today, not sure why because we hadn't read it! but he said they were allowed to change it and there was aother book he wanted to read.

So now we have The Bible. hmm grin

muffinflop Wed 07-Sep-11 20:54:28

What IS the fascination with Horrid Henry books?! I always hear people saying 'well they can read Horrid Henry on their own now'. They're awful books and I don't get why they suddenly seem to be the next step after ORT.

Not directed at you OP - just a general puzzlement/grumble!

youarekidding Wed 07-Sep-11 21:03:13

I agree muffin Probably for different reasons though. I mentioned my friends DD because she is an advanced reader and to me it seemed like DS had been given/ chosen a book that was from a too big a jump for his reading ability. I'm sure he'll be a free reader when he's ready but worried about it being 'forced' upon him and having a negative impact.

Mindyou we have the bible to wade through now. hmm

muffinflop Wed 07-Sep-11 22:02:24

Lol I've just seen that! Good luck grin. is your DS into anything in particular? My DS was into cars when his reading picked up so he was allowed the Top Gear magazine (the children's version) on a Friday if he'd read at least 5 out of 7 days during the week (10 mins a day with a sticker on his chart if he did it that day).

It really helped him and made him feel so grown up looking through and reading a magazine on his own. He soon started spouting facts which he'd read!

youarekidding Wed 07-Sep-11 22:04:47

He buys the Hornby Trains magazines - don't ask! Oh he manages no problems to read the desriptions of things he wants to try and con me into buying - lego/Hornby etc hmm

He's also very good at maths so can work out many weeks he'll have to save his pocket money for. wink

youarekidding Wed 07-Sep-11 22:07:57

I like the idea of him earning the mag though. He usually buys it (monthly mag) from his pocket money. There may be a weekly substitute he could earn, that I'll buy. Thanks for that - Great Idea. grin

muffinflop Wed 07-Sep-11 22:08:48

Lol DS is now onto the kids national geographic mag so I understand the hornby trains too. I'd encourage that though...train books from the library?

smee Thu 08-Sep-11 10:09:23

Horrid Henry do an early reader or starting to read solo edition - can't remember what it's called, but they're lots simpler than the normal HH's, and I'd bet he could read those himself. Or does he like the Beano? That was the first thing my DS read to himself.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now