Talk

Advanced search

Is this usual

(8 Posts)
Wilfimina Tue 06-Sep-11 14:13:35

Hello, I have a 5 year old ds who is in his second year of primary school. He has gone into a new class this year and as we got there this morning there was a notice saying his new teacher wouldn't be in as she was ill (fair enough) but also that she wouldn't be teaching any of them one day a week as she used that time for lesson planning. I know that the teacher he had last year was barely there as well (to the extent that for about 2 months they had a supply teacher. she wasn't ill or anything and was in school but not actually teaching). Is this usual as it seems odd to me.

Thanks for reading

Friedtomatoes77 Tue 06-Sep-11 14:16:17

Is she an NQT? They are entitled to half a day each week for planning.

Wilfimina Tue 06-Sep-11 14:23:20

Thanks for replying Friedtomatoes and sorry for my ignorance but whats an NQT.

lovecheese Tue 06-Sep-11 14:26:45

Newly Qualified Teacher

IndigoBell Tue 06-Sep-11 14:33:29

A NQT (teacher in their first year of teaching) always has 1 day a week for planning. So this is probably what is happening.

More experienced teachers have half a day a week for planning.

So yes, there is no kid in any English school who has their teacher for the whole week.

Wilfimina Tue 06-Sep-11 16:14:37

Oh I see. Thanks a lot for your replies.

DeWe Tue 06-Sep-11 18:25:59

If she's got certain extra responsibilities (eg dephead or SENCO (in some schools) or other things) she may be entitled to a full day of non-contact time. All teachers are entitled to half a day.

cat64 Tue 06-Sep-11 19:28:23

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now