Talk

Advanced search

Ds's teacher has returned to work after mat leave and her baby has just started nursery full-time ...

(163 Posts)
bibbitybobbityhat Mon 05-Sep-11 21:03:02

I wonder how many days she will need to have off to look after her poorly baby.

5inthebed Mon 05-Sep-11 21:05:27

One of my good friends is a teacher, she has her DC in nursery and she has had quite a few days off in the past three years. Feel sorry for her as it is usually something they have picked up from nursery, and they often get sent home with a temperature, something that could be solved with Calpol, but nursry are not allowed to give it to them.

Hulababy Mon 05-Sep-11 21:06:11

My DD went to nursery part time when I returned to teaching. Granted it was only part time but it was me who picked up more coughs, colds and bugs than DD ever did at nursery. DD missed very little time from nursery, she rarely picked anything up tbh.

Iggly Mon 05-Sep-11 21:07:35

Not sure understand the point of the OP? Is it wrong that she's sent her child to nursery? Should she be at home looking after the kid? Are you worried for your son's education?

Maternity pay for teachers isn't great so not surprised.

Laugs Mon 05-Sep-11 21:07:36

Do you not think she should have returned to work?

Laugs Mon 05-Sep-11 21:08:07

x-posted with Iggly. Strange OP.

peppapighastakenovermylife Mon 05-Sep-11 21:09:06

shock hmm

Am quite speechless.

However FWIW none of my babies ever had an illness in their first few months of nursery.

IDrinkFromTheirSkulls Mon 05-Sep-11 21:11:09

I don't understand..surely no more than any other working parent?

eaglewings Mon 05-Sep-11 21:11:54

She may have a dp who will take time off! Perhaps a grandparent, sister best friend.....

cat64 Mon 05-Sep-11 21:12:00

Message withdrawn

SJisontheway Mon 05-Sep-11 21:12:46

I wonder how much time her dp will have to take off to care for their child or do you think this is just the role of the mother?

CMOTdibbler Mon 05-Sep-11 21:13:53

DS had two days off for illness in the first two years at nursery. Not sure most adults aren't off more than that

Kewcumber Mon 05-Sep-11 21:14:10

doesn;t it depend on how often her baby is sick and what kind of support she has at home - you are obviously assuming she has no DH and no otehr family.

I took very little time off when DS was little becasue my (retired) mum was generally happy to have him is he was too sick to go to the childminder but not sick enough to need me IFSWIM - so for example I took time off when he had swine flu but when he was recovering from a stomach bug (and actually OK but not yet able to go to CM) my mum had him.

Why are you speculating? confused

Given the proportion of primary school teachers who are women I would have thought it would be a disaster for the primary education system if they weren;t allowed back to work after having a baby.

Sorry totally confused about this thread...

LucyLastik Mon 05-Sep-11 21:14:32

I get what the OP is trying to say. It is well known that children in nursery, especially babies, tend to get one illness after another.

I don't think she is 'getting at' the teacher.

planetpotty Mon 05-Sep-11 21:16:12

Her DH or DP may look after the baby..... her Mum a friend?? This really shouldnt be a worry for you. I dont get it confused

RedHotPokers Mon 05-Sep-11 21:19:29

OP - are you trying to imply that you are concerned your DSs education will be effected by his teacher being a WOHM?

Or are you generally concerned for the baby's health?

hmm

pictish Mon 05-Sep-11 21:21:08

What??

I don't understand.

RedHotPokers Mon 05-Sep-11 21:22:47

WOHM-bashing per chance?

MigratingCoconuts Mon 05-Sep-11 21:23:22

confused

Kewcumber Mon 05-Sep-11 21:24:23

well its obviously clear to you Lucy - but its not at all clear to me what she;s trying to say.

From the phrasing on her OP the most likely reason for asking seems to me to be that she is running a book on how much time and is trying to gauge opinion before setting the odds.

Goldberry Mon 05-Sep-11 21:25:44

I wonder what proportion of the country's teachers would still be teaching if we got rid of any with children young enough to need looking after if they are poorly. Odd OP -is this yet another stick to beat teachers with? How dare they have babies! hmm

ExitPursuedByATroll Mon 05-Sep-11 21:26:15

Crikey moses, the cheek of the woman, wanting to be a teacher and have children of her own shock

Fontsnob Mon 05-Sep-11 21:27:49

confused

emmanumber3 Mon 05-Sep-11 21:28:24

DS2's literacy & numeracy teacher returned to school after maternity leave last January. She has not only her baby but also a 2 year old in full-time nursery. I don't recall her being absent any more than any other teacher during the last two terms hmm.

pointythings Mon 05-Sep-11 21:29:21

Teachers - and other working women - have for many years had babies and gone back to work.

They have coped.

Their employers have coped.

Very hmm re OP's motivation in posting, frankly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now