Talk

Advanced search

At what age does an LEA have to find a school place?

(6 Posts)
barley2 Mon 05-Sep-11 20:38:09

Hello- some legal/ experience advice needed.
I have posted here before about problems with an emergency move into my parents' house over the summer leaving my daughter without a school. Anyway local authority are still refusing to process her application for a Reception place. I have changed address of everything possible, registered at the doctors, put all my stuff into long term storage but they are still holding off even processing her application let alone offering her a place 'somewhere'.
I read on the citizens advice bureau site that from this September LEA's should offer a place the term after a 4th birthday. My daughter was 4 in July
Any help on whether I can kick up a huge fuss would be appreciated. I feel desperate to get her somewhere for social reasons more than anything.

Marne Mon 05-Sep-11 20:41:50

A child legals has to be in school the term after their 5th birthday (this is what we were told when we considered delaying dd2 starting school) but she has a right to a place in september this year so not sure where you stand. I would keep pushing, you could phone around the schools, they maybe able to help push something through.

Sorry i cant be more help.

prh47bridge Mon 05-Sep-11 23:24:46

Your daughter does not legally have to be in school until next September but that is irrelevant. She has the right to a place from the start of this term. The LA has no right to refuse to process your application. Kick up a huge fuss. Tell the LA that if they have not agreed to process your application within 48 hours you will refer the matter to the Local Government Ombudsman.

prh47bridge Mon 05-Sep-11 23:31:29

Just in case you need it, the relevant part of the Admissions Code is paragraph 2.65 which says, "For admission to the 2011-12 school year, and subsequent years, admission authorities for primary schools must provide for the admission of all children in the September following their fourth birthday."

barley2 Tue 06-Sep-11 21:29:20

Thanks everyone- right! fully armed now against the jobsworths. I'm determined to get her settled somewhere as it's not her or our fault we've ended up in this position. Thanks again for being so selfless in answering my query

dixiechick1975 Tue 06-Sep-11 21:43:44

Nothing useful to add but just to say good luck - let us know how you get on. Must be awfully stressful on top of an already stressful situation.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now