Talk

Advanced search

Siblings playing together at break time

(11 Posts)
MrsGravy Mon 05-Sep-11 19:10:05

DD is in Year 2 and DS has just gone into reception. They play really well together at home and are very close so I'd been a bit worried that they would play together too much at school - to the exclusion of their friends. And they have. The teacher at break time apparently told DD to leave DS alone, stop cuddling him so much and let him play with his friends which she was a bit upset about. It's so hard to explain to her that it's ok to play with him but not too much, they're so excited about being together on the same yard...

Will this just sort itself out? Gawd, I'd forgotten how angsty I get the first few weeks of term!!

Sinkingfeeling Mon 05-Sep-11 19:47:24

I'd say the novelty could wear off soon - it did for mine and they now actively avoid eachother on the playground!

thisisyesterday Mon 05-Sep-11 19:50:55

i would just let them be. as long as ds knows he can tell dd he doesn't want to play with her...

MrsGravy Mon 05-Sep-11 20:18:10

Thanks sinking...I look forward to moaning about them completely ignoring each other!

thisisyesterday, I'm confident that he would just tell her. He certainly does at home.

firstgreatholswiththree Mon 05-Sep-11 20:53:49

My two were year 2 and year r but joined from another school (in another country). They are pretty close and I expected to try and see a lot of each other as they settled. The teachers and assistants just tried to encourage new friendships and to be honest they did find them pretty quickly. I was keen to make sure though that one wasn't left sitting on the bench and they did "look out for each other". They both play up or down with each others friends now.....

sunnyday123 Tue 06-Sep-11 17:50:14

i wouldn't worry - they may start like that at the beginning but soon tire of it. I like that they let them mix - in DD school (when she was in reception) they were only allowed to play with kids in their year group even though she knew lots in Y1 and Y2!

cat64 Tue 06-Sep-11 19:29:47

Message withdrawn

Haberdashery Tue 06-Sep-11 21:00:35

Me and my closest in age brother were a year apart at school. We always played together at break time for the first few years. I think your children will grow out of it as they get more attached to their own friends. And if they don't, well, how nice to have children who are good friends. My brother and I were always close and still are. It's nice to have a friend who is also your sibling.

GwendolineMaryLacey Tue 06-Sep-11 21:03:54

I didn't realise that this was seen as a problem. DD will (hopefully) be in the same reception class as her cousin next year. The are already at the same pre-school and, although they both have their own sets of friends, they do like to play together. I'd imagine that won't last forever as they're boy/girl but they're both quite excited about being together, it's a shame to throw cold water on it.

MrsGravy Tue 06-Sep-11 21:05:44

firstgreat -that sounds ideal. I like the idea of them looking out for each other but still maintaining their own friends. Sunnyday, I agree, I like the fact that the infants are all in together. Cat64, yep, DD is very much enjoying looking after her little brother and 'showing him around' the school yard. The same school yard he has been in every day when we've picked her up!!
Haberdashery, it is nice that they're such good friends. He's been a bit wobbly and unsure these first couple of days so it's mostly a positive that he's got his big sis to hold his hand for a while.

Haberdashery Tue 06-Sep-11 22:00:05

It's lovely for him! I would be celebrating the fact that they actually like each other. I only have one, sadly, but I hear so much about siblings not getting on. I think it's great that they are friends.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now