Talk

Advanced search

Labeling socks?!

(28 Posts)
Pedicuri Mon 05-Sep-11 18:31:24

DS starting at the local prep (thanks a bunch, totally useless Loc Auth) and I have labelled everything apart from socks with a mix of sew on and iron on tags. What do you do for socks?

overmydeadbody Mon 05-Sep-11 18:33:02

Replace them when they get lost. They don't need labelling.

gegs73 Mon 05-Sep-11 18:33:55

I've never done it and must say not really lost any. Wouldn't bother unless they are VERY pricey

2cats2many Mon 05-Sep-11 18:35:26

I have [new school parent emoticon] blush

I used to label them with iron on transfers from Easy2Name, but realised that it probably doubled the cost per sock, so now I just buy more when we seem to be running out. The little transfer names do look beautiful and neat though.

Pedicuri Mon 05-Sep-11 18:37:18

Oh, okay! He has three different types of socks, so that is good!

r3dh3d Mon 05-Sep-11 18:38:18

I label socks because school are utter label-nazis and they specifically say on the uniform rules that each sock must be individually named. I sew them on, but I do it by sewing only one end of the name tape, at the inside back of the sock cuff. The other end hangs down inside the sock, if you can picture it.

Pedicuri Mon 05-Sep-11 18:38:20

Where did you put the label on the sock? Foot or leg?

mustdash Mon 05-Sep-11 18:38:44

M & S socks now come with a little white box on the inside for labelling. Well girls ones do anyway, couldn't say about boys....

Pedicuri Mon 05-Sep-11 18:39:41

Sorry - cross posted. Good idea R3dh3d.

suburbandream Mon 05-Sep-11 18:41:57

I sew them on, but only because they are £5 a pair angry !! They are long grey ones with coloured stripes, which you turn over at the top so I sew the labels under the turn-over bit. The same with the sports socks unfortunately, so I can't afford to lose too many!!

LadyInPink Mon 05-Sep-11 18:43:00

I labelled all DD socks when she started her prep school as they cost more than M&S ones etc. I found a neat trick of folding the tape in half and just sewing the two ends together and tucking that in once she had put them on. Much quicker and easier.

Later i found that she never actually took her socks off in reception and wore full PE uniform to school for PE days from yr 1 so since have dispensed with sewing labels in socks...also have started buying her cheaper ones and so far no one has noticed.

HTH

weblette Mon 05-Sep-11 18:45:46

Another vote for the M&S socks, they save so much time.
For rugby socks I fold the label over the top of the sock and sew both sides at once.
With 4 dcs now at school, socks are the bane of my life...

SeniorWrangler Mon 05-Sep-11 18:54:22

I stretch the sock over my hand, and stitch them on parallel with the top, with a double stitch at each corner, but then I am pretty quick with the needle.

beautifulgirls Mon 05-Sep-11 18:56:31

White socks, laundry marker pen just inside the top cuff area.

Pedicuri Mon 05-Sep-11 19:15:34

Great ideas- thank you so much. I think I will just grit my teeth and do them all. His winter socks are £5 per pair, so will not want to be losing them!

Loopymumsy Mon 05-Sep-11 20:42:50

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Ponders Mon 05-Sep-11 20:44:07

can you not just label the undersole bit with a Sharpie?

Ponders Mon 05-Sep-11 20:45:13

unless black of course. if black, can you use a correcting pen in white?

life is much too short to sew labels on socks grin

baffledmum Mon 05-Sep-11 22:08:47

I label everything and if DS would lie still on the ironing board I'd get him lablled too grin !!

YummyHoney Mon 05-Sep-11 22:13:47

I'm similar to R3DH3D with DDs at label-obsessed schools, and, yes, I too have to iron-on name tags in each sock!

Have sad am I, for conforming to this ridiculous request without a second's thought blush. At least you have the decency to question it grin

blackeyedsusan Mon 05-Sep-11 22:20:49

biro on the sole would do, if they are light coloured.

Ponders Mon 05-Sep-11 22:24:37

I have to admit that when DC1 started sec school (in 1993 shock) I did sew name tags in one pair of games socks (at the top, where they would be turned over)

since then (3 more kids) nevernevernever in socks grin

silverfrog Mon 05-Sep-11 22:29:55

I've just finished doing all of dd2's.

For socks, I fold the name tape in half (folding in the ends - why do Cash leave the ends looking so untidy?!) and then sew along the short side, on the inside of the sock at the bottom of the elasticated cuff - if you do it at the top you run the risk of the nametape sticking out most of the time

<have realised I am faaaar to anal about name tapes blush>

games socks I have had to suppress my natural instincts: we had instructions (with diagrams and everything!) which stated to sew it on the inside, vertically so that it could be seen when the top was turned over. this made me twitch far too much (I clearly have a thing about nametapes not tucked into socks!) and so I did my usual fold in half and sew along the short side, but as a compromise have sewn it where it could be left out or tucked in (ie at teh boundary between turnover and sock)

I have spent way too long thinking about this, obviously!

Ponders Mon 05-Sep-11 22:31:41

LOL at 'we had instructions (with diagrams and everything!)'

(was this some kind of prep school, silverfrog?)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now