Talk

Advanced search

Would you take your child out of school in reception?

(16 Posts)
Dancergirl Sun 04-Sep-11 11:02:10

Not for an urgent reason I mean eg day out...?

I read Chris Woodhead's column in the Sunday Times every week and a few weeks ago there was a question from a mother whose child was a summer baby and due to start reception in September. She was complaining about the fact that the class only do PE twice a week and her child wasn't going to be getting as much exercise as he is now (they were doing some sort of physical activity every day).

To my suprise he said in his answer that as it's not a legal requirement for chidren to be at school before they're 5, it's ok to take him out to do other things!

So what does this mean? I can't see schools being too happy about this. My youngest is due to start reception next week. Can I take her out here and there to go on an educational outing or a show?

savoycabbage Sun 04-Sep-11 11:05:26

people did this at my school when my dd started as yes, legally they do not have to be there until the term after they are 5. So the school must not have to count it in their absences.

People went on holiday or kept them at home because they were knackered.

Nagoo Sun 04-Sep-11 11:05:48

You don't even have to send them to school until their 5th birthday.

I wouldn't I want my son to settle as best I can help him.

JiltedJohnsJulie Sun 04-Sep-11 11:12:13

DD is just 4 and is due to start school next week. We had talked about deferrng her place for a term but in the end she has said she wants to go.

Have every intention of keeping her off for the odd day or afternoon if she needs a break.

Personally though I wouldn't take them out for exercise. Our reception does have a covered play area though so they are out in all weathers. They also have 2 breaks and lunchtime so run around in.

festi Sun 04-Sep-11 11:23:55

my dds school allow 14 days authorised absence for any child any age, at the head teachers discretion.

I took advantage of 4 of these and another girl in dds class (reception) made use of every single one of them. I would take her out just on a whim. two days was friday and monday for her cousins christening that we had to travel to and the other two where a thursday and friday to have a long weekend camping with her dad as he couldnt take any time in school holidays.

festi Sun 04-Sep-11 11:24:18

that should be would not take her out on whim

insanityscatching Sun 04-Sep-11 11:26:04

Well dd only started late and part time (mornings only) in the first place but if I wanted to take her somewhere during the week I'd tell the teacher she wouldn't be in the following morning as we were going out. The teacher was absolutely fine about it after all not all learning takes place in school. Dd didn't suffer she left reception year the most able in her year easily with plenty of friends and fully able to adapt to school routines.

Dancergirl Sun 04-Sep-11 11:39:12

Hmm, they've changed the system at dd's school: the younger ones used to go part time till after Christmas but now (sadly, due to pressure from parents), they start in 3 intakes over 3 weeks and ALL go full time from their second week at school.

My dd is a February birthday so not that young in the year but I'm still really enjoying my time with her and there are some shows coming up in the term that I'd like to take her to. I'm not sure how it will go down with the school, they are v hot on attendance.

LIZS Sun 04-Sep-11 11:47:52

Givne that the school day is relatively short anyway (9-3ish) plus weekends off I'd have thought that still left plenty of time for "exercise" hmm

insanityscatching Sun 04-Sep-11 11:55:45

Dancergirl I'd just take her anyway tbh I took dd out to watch shows, visit attractions, a scarecrow competition even and to the seaside for the day or even a train ride. She'd always take something back to school the next day to talk about what she'd done and the teacher was happy to share it with her.

going Sun 04-Sep-11 12:06:34

There are plenty of after school clubs for exercise or they can run around a park after 3pm!

alemci Sun 04-Sep-11 12:06:38

I couldn't wait for mine to go to school. I think my dd started the term after she was 5 and then the other dd was a Summer birthday and again started the following September missing the reception totally.

My ds went when he was nearly 5 as they had changed the system. It was dragged out for 6 weeks with him being there til 11 to start with even though he had been in the school nursery til 11.30 and some of the kids had been in private nurseries all day.

I think it would be fine to take them out of school. Make the most of it. otherwise you have to wait until after GCSEs.

mrz Sun 04-Sep-11 15:21:57

Young children in reception are physically active all day long. OK so they might not be having daily PE but they will be riding bikes climbing on the trim trail running, jumping, skipping, dancing, playing every day so I would suggest mum wants "organised" activity rather than play and Mr Woodhouse has once again proved he doesn't know what happens at the chalk face.

Brunocat Sun 04-Sep-11 19:40:08

I too read the Chris Woodhouse article with interest. My son turned four only last week and I intend to take him out of school whenever he needs to. If he is getting tired etc or just if we haven't seen Granny in a while he'll have a day off. Also we have booked a two week holiday in term time in November. He is only four and will benefit just as much spending time with me and his sister as he will at school.

ManateeEquineOhara Sun 04-Sep-11 20:05:38

DS didn't start reception until Easter (he turned 5 in December), and only went 3 days a week until year one. It has to be agreed with the LEA as flexi-schooling as it was after the time it becomes a legal requirement (the term after the 5th birthday).

TheOriginalFAB Sun 04-Sep-11 20:11:19

My children were all born at different times of the year and none needed a day off to rest, recover etc but then they only did mornings until January.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now