Talk

Advanced search

Still sitting on waiting list - any hope left?

(15 Posts)
elvisola Thu 01-Sep-11 10:03:53

Hi, I didn't get any of my three preferences but was allocated a school which I am happy enough with now that I have seen it. It still wouldn't have been one of my choices though.

My first choice was the school she has attended nursery at. We are well out of catchment but she got in nursery off of the waiting list last week of term. She and I both have friends there now and it's a great school, outstanding and oversubscribed.

For reception I started off at No.9 on the waiting list but have since ended up No.2, this has been static since July. There has already been lots of movement as the school is situated in an extremely affluent area where the majority of children attend a Jewish school or one of a number of good private schools. It is a double form entry, 60 in total.

My No.1 school start reception off all at once full days next Tuesday, my DC doesn't start allocated school until the 13th as it is staggered.

I am just wondering if there is still a chance at this stage of still being allocated space off of the waiting list or if I should just move on and accept that she won't get in. I haven't even bought the uniform for the allocated school as I just feel in limbo.

If anyone can offer me any perspective I would appreciate it.

Thanks

mummytime Thu 01-Sep-11 10:11:42

There is still a chance. Some people just don't turn up at the start and I know at least one person who withdrew their child in week one with one of mine. I have also certainly known children leave in the first term.
However I would get some uniform for the allocated school and act as if she is going there. Then just see what happens.

EustaciaVye Thu 01-Sep-11 10:21:34

Yes, lots of changes in the first 2 weeks as children dont turn up.

CustardCake Thu 01-Sep-11 10:30:29

Yes - still a chance. Some peope don't turn up the first week of term as they have a place at private school and have been hedging their bets / making up their mind all Summer.

Others take a place knowing that they are moving area in the first few weeks of term so there may be a child that only attends for a term or less before they move away.

prh47bridge Thu 01-Sep-11 10:56:55

Agree with the other posters that there is still a chance. You would be surprised how many people accept a place and then move or decide to go private without bothering to notify the school or the LA.

IndigoBell Thu 01-Sep-11 11:36:52

But def buy the uniform and turn up on Day 1 at your allocated school.

Changebagsandgladrags Thu 01-Sep-11 16:43:50

It looks quite promising. We were at number 2 on the first day of term with second choice school. I called to see if all the children had started and they had. However, we were offered a place at the end of September I think it was and he started the week before half term.

However, with our first choice school we never budged at all despite being much much closer.

My advice would be to assume starting at the allocated school. Make out like you are pleased about it and do all the first day at school stuff. You can do it all again at the new school if you get in.

elvisola Thu 01-Sep-11 17:33:36

Thanks everyone, I do feel reasonably positive about it. DD is looking forward to starting school regardless, I have made her new school sound really exciting and spoken about her new teacher and all the new children she will meet.

Long term though I feel she will get a better education at my 1st choice. It is a feeder school into the local girls grammar for a start.

I think my issue is starting her at the allocated school and then getting a space later on, it will be harder to make a decision if she is settled than if we find out next week. I know two families are moving in October but it will be such a wrench to pull her out then, even if it is for a better school.

Fingers crossed some kids don't turn up!

Chestnutx3 Thu 01-Sep-11 18:06:05

I think there is a good chance you will get a school place as many will go private and not inform the school or are keeping their options open until the last minute (a private school hugely oversubscribed says that has happened the last two years for the first time due to financial uncertainty).

I would have no qualms of moving your DD in October she would have only been there a few weeks. Move when there is a place and phone every day from when school re-opens. They will remember you when a child fails to turn up on the first day!

plinkplonk Thu 01-Sep-11 20:23:32

It really won't be a big deal changing schools in October. And agree you still have a chance.

WLmum Thu 01-Sep-11 21:28:00

Hi Elvisola,
I'm in much the same position, although further down the wait list than you. When our number comes up I am def planning on moving DD1 as like you, I do feel that she will get a better, more rounded education at the preferred school, and DD2 will then get in! I am worried that it will be a big wrench for her but I comfort myself in the fact that she's 4 and therefore not necessarily the best judge of her education and future!

Changebagsandgladrags Thu 01-Sep-11 23:01:27

I did worry about moving DS (in fact I posted here last year).

He'd just made a good friend in the allocated school and I worried friends would have been made in the new school already. I felt pretty awful.

Within two days he had two 'best friends' At that age they do seem very adaptable. I'mpleased I made the decision. Looking back it was the right thing to do for us.

elvisola Mon 12-Sep-11 18:18:20

Just thought I would post an update: I called my first choice school last week and was told that 4 children hadnt shown up but that I was now No.3 on the waiting list. Despite that I got my hopes up only to be told at the end of the week that all children now in class, bar 1 who had gone to a different school. I gather I am now no.2 on the list as that space would have gone to the person at no.1.

School also advised that there is a child moving in October, but obviously there is still someone in front of me for that one too.

Trying not to feel to despondent, my daughter is starting her allocated school tomorrow sad

scrappydappydoo Mon 12-Sep-11 18:35:40

No advice but just a message of support. I know the feeling very well...
DD has just started yr 1 - we have been on waiting list for our local school for the past 18mths. We've yo yo'd up and down the waiting list and everytime we get get close to a place it seems to be snatched from under our noses. We've found it very difficult to not take it personally even though we know it is been done fairy and above board.
However, DD1 is very happy in her current school - she has made some good friends and is learning loads. So stay on the waiting list - start her at allocated school and get stuck in and then if a place comes up at preferred school well great! but try not to let it take over and stop you from enjoying these first few days and terms smile

embles76 Mon 12-Sep-11 20:19:42

the problem is, if someone moves into the area closer to the school they go straight to the top of the list. If there is a lot of movement in the school, which it sound like there is, there is still a good chance you'll get in, but it may not be as soon as you had hoped. Fingers crossed for you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now