Talk

Advanced search

Do primary schools receive reports on children moving up from nursery school?

(7 Posts)
applecrumbleandcream Tue 30-Aug-11 22:57:41

That it if it's not attached to the primary school. Just wondered really, or do primary schools just start 'blindly' iykwim?

Kora Tue 30-Aug-11 23:02:26

Might be worth speaking to your nursery. I though that if your nursery school followed early years foundation (which I think it has to, but might be wrong) then they should give you a report to pass onto the primary school. It's quite a basic report, but some useful stuff about standards reached in literacy, numeracy, personal and physical skills etc. Maybe they've sent yours directly, but with our local authority parents sign the form too, so they've given me my DD1's report to take into school. Best of luck!

caffeinated Wed 31-Aug-11 07:53:44

I think all nursery providers pass on a report to the schools the children move on to. How accurate the reports are can leave a lot to be desired. I have seen teachers on here say they have received reports from nurseries informing them that the child is working at a level that'd be impressive for the end of reception let alone the beginning only to find after doing their own assessments they aren't even achieving that well for a child at the end of nursery.

yellowsubmarine41 Wed 31-Aug-11 08:27:58

Ours do. I'd hope it's quite standard practice - why bother assessing children if the information isn't going to be made use of?

mrz Wed 31-Aug-11 10:49:56

Most nurseries past on assessments to reception teachers ... some are more useful than others

sugartongue Thu 01-Sep-11 09:52:10

I've been given the whole early years file completed during nursery to pass on.

slavetofilofax Thu 01-Sep-11 13:17:15

Our nursery give transition reports, which are basicall just a form that we fill in, with the help of the parents and child. The parents get the opportunity to write anything specific they want the teacher to know about, and the child does too. The child is asked to talk about the things they like and what they want the teacher to know. That part isn't usually of much use to the teacher, but I think it helps the child to know they are part of the process and they are being listened to!

The keyworker writes a short report about the child, and about their progress levels in each of the 6 areas of learning and development, and the nursery manager writes a short amount about the child.

One of our main schools that we feed into loves our transition report and it was developed with them, but I suspect a couple of the others don't pay it much attention.

The school also gets the targets they have reached on the EYFS.

All schools will do their own assesments anyway.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now