Talk

Advanced search

teachers: what topic did you chose for your dissertation?

(14 Posts)
lollipoppet Tue 30-Aug-11 19:13:06

I want to hit the ground running and get an early start so i want to decide on dissertation topic asap, just wondering what other people did and maybe get inspired. I was thinking of doing something to do with SEN but am still very much undecided and open-minded!

thanks in advance!

oh, also posted in primary ed so sorry if you see this twice! smile

Mowlem Tue 30-Aug-11 19:27:58

I did mine on revision, but I think an area that would be good to look at would be the application of teaching and learning theories. So many schools / teachers naively follow the latest theory so perhaps a critical look at that would be interesting, as things like learning styles that was so fashionable a few years ago is now out of favour. It seems target setting is the next teaching fad - so I think it would be good to explore how strong the educational theory is that underpins target setting and good practice.

tethersend Tue 30-Aug-11 19:32:54

I did mine on effort grades- my hypothesis was that they are worse than useless.

lollipoppet Tue 30-Aug-11 19:39:47

cheers guys
hmm, changing fashion in teaching styles... i think i like it!

mrz Tue 30-Aug-11 20:31:44

Mine was an investigation of the development of early literacy

pinkgirlythoughts Wed 31-Aug-11 14:23:17

I did an investigation into the teaching of primary MFL in West Yorkshire

treesinthebreeze Wed 31-Aug-11 17:05:20

Mine was an investigation into how best to teach spelling.

Feenie Wed 31-Aug-11 17:07:40

Mine was on 'Little Women' - it was an Eng Lit and Primary Ed degree. grin

goingmadinthecountry Thu 01-Sep-11 21:44:40

My (sec) PGCE was very subject specific and a very long time ago, but for my return to teaching course (primary) I looked at the non-teaching aspects of school life and the impact they had on learning - lunchtime routines, assemblies and star of the week, break time conflicts, the way staff talk to children etc. It was hugely interesting, though obviously a different type of course.

I did a dissertation on how auditory processing affects early literacy and reading problems for a different PG course.

tinytalker Fri 02-Sep-11 00:02:54

Mine was on the issues and practicalities surrounding the teaching of traveller children.

tinytalker Fri 02-Sep-11 00:04:16

Sorry that should be children from the Travelling Community!

brambleschooks Fri 02-Sep-11 00:17:43

Mine was on how to create w dyslexia friendly school. My next one was on the impact of short term memory difficulties in the classroom.

brambleschooks Fri 02-Sep-11 00:18:02

Darn iPad, you get my drift!

mumto2monsters Fri 02-Sep-11 19:12:34

mine was on the use of drama and roleplay to enhance children's engagement and attainment.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now