Talk

Advanced search

Key Stage 1 fruit

(15 Posts)
Abecedarium Sat 27-Aug-11 09:55:50

I thought there was a scheme whereby the Gov provided money for this. We've just been asked, via a letter, that our Reception child bring fruit in each day. Or is it only for some schools?

mufti Sat 27-Aug-11 09:57:47

i thought all did, ours does.
wherabouts are you?

Playingwithbuses Sat 27-Aug-11 09:58:28

We had a scheme where the school was provided with free fruit to give to the kids, stopped now. Not sure about why a scheme is needed to tell the kids to bring in fruit everyday, do we need to be told to do that??

Abecedarium Sat 27-Aug-11 10:26:21

We're in Oxfordshire.

mufti Sat 27-Aug-11 13:33:11

we are in wilts.
no idea why you dont get it.

JemimaMuddledUp Sat 27-Aug-11 14:50:38

We don't, but we are in Wales. They have to take their own healthy (ie fruit or veg) snack into school, or pay 20p to buy something from the Fruit Bar.

They do have free milk in Reception and Yr1&2 though.

Lorelai Sun 28-Aug-11 16:03:35

I seem to remember reading somewhere (no idea where though) that there is a government scheme to supply free fruit in KS1, but schools have to opt in to it, and not all have.

Lorelai Sun 28-Aug-11 16:05:03

Ah, found it here

Free fruit and vegetables in school

The School Fruit and Vegetable Scheme is a national government programme which gives all children aged four to six in infant, primary and special local authority maintained schools a free piece of fruit or vegetable each school day.

If your child's school has chosen to take part in the scheme, your child will be given a free piece of fruit or vegetable at school each day.

mycatoscar Sun 28-Aug-11 19:12:11

it might be that the school simply hasnt opted into the scheme or has had so many problems with it that they stopped it (the school where I work has had massive problems with quality and delivery)

or it might be that like the school where i work, the children bring their own fruit for morning play and use the free fruit for afternoon snack time.

Abecedarium Tue 30-Aug-11 08:44:21

Some good thoughts. Well we'll find out soon enough.

ProfessionallyOffendedGoblin Tue 30-Aug-11 08:45:55

Didn't schools have to start paying for it, which is why it became opt in?
Could be completely wrong. smile

ProfessionallyOffendedGoblin Tue 30-Aug-11 08:46:31

Or was that the free milk scheme?
<confused>

chickensaregreen Tue 30-Aug-11 08:48:07

Our KS1 children get free fruit but can also bring their own fruit instead if they prefer. About 5 of my class have their own fruit for break time.

auntpetunia Wed 31-Aug-11 17:30:20

Ks1 fruit is free Ks2 fruit has been abolished due to costs, some schools are providing fruit but will ask for contributions. To be fair the quality of the ks1 fruit can be pretty horrendous. But it is something the school has to opt in to.

Hulababy Wed 31-Aug-11 17:39:07

We are in Sheffield, S Yorks. I work in an infant school and reception and KS1 get fruit as a snack every day. Unless there are diagnosed allergies issues children aren't allowed to take their own in.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now