Talk

Advanced search

My DS just doesn't want to write anything :(

(9 Posts)
iwouldgoouttonight Fri 26-Aug-11 16:09:00

He's just turned five this week, and he's going to start year 1 next week. Before the summer holidays he would write his name and could write all the letters and works out which ones to put together to form simple words.

He's had to make a diary of what he did over summer for school, just sticking in photos, pictures, writing, etc. At the beginning of the summer he did write a few things in - he's never been really enthusiastic about writing but he did it. In the last three or four weeks he seems to have completely given up - we tried to write thank you cards to his friends for birthday presents and he couldn't even write his name without getting bored halfway through and deliberately messing it up.

We're trying not to be pushy, because I know if we try to get him to write something when he's not in the mood he really won't want to do it but, for example, he was playing a game and asked me how to write a word, so I told him and encouraged him, but halfway through the word he gave up and said he was rubbish at writing. We've told him he's really good at writing and how impressed with all are with how many words he can write, but he seems to think he can't do it so he doesn't want to try.

I'm worried he's behind his peers because all the cards he received were written by the child (admittedly some are nearly six years old, and DS is the youngest in his year) whereas it is a huge struggle to get him to even write his name. Is there anything else we can do to help him?

2BoysTooLoud Fri 26-Aug-11 17:44:26

I would try and relax. He sounds fine to me - typical boy too in my experience.
Try not to worry or push or he will sense it.

mrsravelstein Fri 26-Aug-11 17:53:18

i'm sure lots more knowledgeable people will come onto this thread than me, but i was chatting to a teacher (and mother of sons) recently who said boys should not be made to write until at least 6 or 7 as they don't always have the coordination skills to do it til then, and that pushing them before they are ready can be counter productive.

on a personal experience note, ds1 is 10 and couldn't read or write until well into year 1 (he started school late and is dyslexic). he had completely caught up with the rest of the class by year 4, and now going into year 6 doesn't have any issues at all.

pointythings Fri 26-Aug-11 18:28:16

He's still so young - let him work his way up to it in Yr1.

And any school telling me my DCs have to do anything approaching school work over the summer holidays will be told politely but firmly what they can do with that idea!

redskyatnight Fri 26-Aug-11 18:46:55

DS was the same at this age. Anything other than writing his name in a card was "too much" and he also claimed to be rubbish at writing etc. At school he did write as he had to.

It's only been this summer (he's just finished Y2) that he is voluntarily writing anything and even then it's of the "come to sekret club" type notes rather than anything lengthy.

As long as school is flagging no issues (and he sounds just fine for his stage atm) I think it's better just to back off and let them get to it in their own time.

2BoysTooLoud Fri 26-Aug-11 18:49:58

And don't get panicked by 'essay' writing little girls!!

sarahfreck Fri 26-Aug-11 21:09:29

Some fun writing "without realising it" activities I've described here. www.manchester-tutor.co.uk/question-and-answers
The case I've described is for an older child so I wouldn't be worrying about an OT assessment, but the activities could still be fun ways of practising.

mankyscotslass Fri 26-Aug-11 22:14:19

DS2, turning 6 in October, going into yr1 in September, HATES writing.

His reading is great, but give him a pencil and he throws a hissy fit.

He has just recently decided he is (mostly hmm) left handed.

I encourage other fine motor skills, like lego, and chalk in the garden and other things that mrz suggests.

His teacher in YR1 may be in for a bumpy ride, but she has had DS1 and DD.

I'm trying not to stress, because I know if I make him sit down to write there will be tantrums.

iwouldgoouttonight Sat 27-Aug-11 20:20:19

Sorry for not getting back sooner (been entertaining MIL all day!) and thanks for all your comments. You've reassured me. I know you shouldn't compare children but I was a bit freaked out by almost all his friends (boys and girls) having written him a birthday card and him not even wanting to write his name.

He does really enjoy drawing and painting so I'm not worried about him holding a pen - some of his drawings are really detailed. He doesn't enjoy reading either - loves having stories read to him and loves making up stories, but as soon as a reading book is nearby he just switches off. They haven't flagged anything up at school so I'll try to stay relaxed about it and hopefully he will gain more of an interest in his own time. I think if he really wanted to read words and write them he could - he just really doesn't want to!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now