Talk

Advanced search

Jolly Phonics

(14 Posts)
BlackL Fri 26-Aug-11 14:07:53

hi,
Can anyone help?

Just wondering what are the best jolly phonics products to buy?

Also does anyone know if there is a difference between workbooks, pupils books and activity books? Have the workbooks at home, which were great.

Word cards look good, though very expensive. does anyone know a cheaper alternative?

MumToTheBoy Fri 26-Aug-11 14:23:04

Go online and google 'letters and sounds'. This is the scheme used in schools and there are tons of great interactive games and free printable resources you can use rather than pay for the jolly phonics ones.

caffeinated Fri 26-Aug-11 14:37:32

I have used the Jolly Jingles/Songs book and CD to teach my children their letter sounds. Found it great value and they really learned quickly. I also used Jolly Phonics word book to practice their blending once they got the logistics of reading. We had a poster too fpr their room. I used the workbooks with ds1 but can't have been that impressed because I've used the Lett's Magical ones for writing practise with ds2 as they're a but more interesting.

caffeinated Fri 26-Aug-11 14:38:21

Oh and for word cards I just printed my own version on the computer.

lovecheese Fri 26-Aug-11 14:40:19

Just don't buy the DVD, you will lose the will to live before you even get through the first 6 sounds...

caffeinated Fri 26-Aug-11 14:45:27

Ha ha lovecheese I was once subjected to a bit of that. I don't think I've ever fully recovered.

gilmoregirl Fri 26-Aug-11 14:45:47

DS loved the jolly phonics work books. His school used the jolly phonics scheme so they were great for a bit of extra support. I got them three for two in ELC and I think there was also a 20% deal at the time so they were quite cheap. I got a couple of each level as he liked them so much.

I also got the CD as I was pronouncing the sounds incorrectly......

mrz Fri 26-Aug-11 14:52:35

I've taught using Jolly Phonics since they were first published and to be honest I would be very selective about what you buy.

In class I use the handbook and the flashcards to introduce the new sounds and to practise previously taught phonemes

I like the Jolly Songs CD and the children enjoy learning them with each new sound and the jiglets are useful for segmenting words for spelling.
I agree don't buy the DVD and I'm not a fan of the reading books or the story books for introducing the sounds.

mrz Fri 26-Aug-11 14:54:20

You can download how to say all the sounds correctly
jollylearning.co.uk/gallery/audio-2/

BlackL Fri 26-Aug-11 16:57:10

Thank you everyone!
I bought the cd last year and thats what brought me here to ask before i bought anything else. teacher recommended jolly phonics but the cd experience put me off!
mumtotheboy - Letters and sounds looks good. Have to print some stuff out. Games look good too! im sure he will enjoy them
mrz - Thanks for your link, will have to have a listen to make sure im sounding them out properly! Tried the cd but it was awful.
Lovecheese - Will print my own. mumtotheboy recommended at website which lists words, so that will guide me to make my own grin

mrz Fri 26-Aug-11 17:13:11

www.mrthorne.com/

I made these for L&S you might find them useful to have the ideas in one place -although I wouldn't use them myself www.tes.co.uk/teaching-resource/Letter-and-amp-Sounds-Phase-Two-activities-3007349/ www.tes.co.uk/teaching-resource/Phase-Three-Activity-Cards-3007363/

madamehooch Fri 26-Aug-11 19:43:21

TBH wouldn't bother with the work books - they'll go through them too quickly for them to be worth the money.

Although more of an initial outlay, I would invest in 'The Phonics Handbook' if Jolly Phonics is the route you want to go down. Has everything you need and the resources are photocopiable.

Would also recommend the Jolly Phonics activity books and the CD.

They also do their own magnetic letter sets which are great because they include digraphs and blends.

mrz Fri 26-Aug-11 20:14:23

Jolly Phonics sheets I made

BlackL Fri 26-Aug-11 23:33:10

Thanks madamehooch. smile
Mrz, my printers burnt out smile thanks for the links

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now