Talk

Advanced search

Constantly taking off seatbelt - any tips?

(5 Posts)
sevenoften Thu 25-Aug-11 08:07:56

First post here, and it's about my nephew, who has just turned 4 and was diagnosed about 2 months ago with autism.

My dsis is still coming to terms with all of this, and I'm trying just to be a sounding board for her. But she was telling me yesterday that the latest thing is taking off his seatbelt in the car and how he is impervious to be told off about it. She also tried a light smack, in desperation, but no success (unsurprisingly!). In the end she had to make her dh sit in the car next to him, as it was important, and she can't exactly pull her dh away from work every time.

Does anyone know of a way of stopping him taking his seatbelt off? It's a 5-point harness thing.

sevenoften Thu 25-Aug-11 08:22:20

Woops! Have no idea how I posted this here - I thought I was in SN... Sorry. Will re-post there.

silverfrog Thu 25-Aug-11 08:29:03

Try crelling harnesses. On iPod so can't link, sorry.

They have all sorts of harnesses and straps to help, from undoable latches to harnesses for houdinis.

My dd1 uses one, and has for years now, as she is not safe with just an adult seatbelt - she slides out from the bottom of it.

Hth

blackeyedsusan Thu 25-Aug-11 23:03:24

put reins on back to front, so they fasten at the front and put them over the seat belt. not sure if it will help though if he can get out of a 5 point harness.

sevenoften Fri 26-Aug-11 09:33:41

Thanks for this - I think reins may not work as he can undo the belt. But the crelling harnesses look promising.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now