Talk

Advanced search

child moved from class when ds was happy

(13 Posts)
Kazanova Thu 25-Aug-11 07:39:07

I am new to all this, so please forgive. DS had good friends in class and brillant report at end of term, teacher even praised him on development. However, DS gets moved out of class for September. I know he shall see his friends at play but my concern is that kids in new class are very loud and dont concentrate. Last thing my DS needs, as he was performing soooooo well. Head says DS does not do this/that but that was not mentioned by teacher or report. I know I pay attention to his education at home and I go along with the report. I feel shes moving him to suit other parents needs. Any suggestions?

2BoysTooLoud Thu 25-Aug-11 07:51:54

Not sure I can say anything helpful. My ds going to year 2 and his new class is minus his 2x best friends. He was very upset at first. I too have said he can see his friends at playtime and just hope that works out. There do seem to be more 'boisterous' boys in his new class and I hope this will not distract my fairly easily distracted ds. I am hoping for the best but will keep a close eye.
Fingers crossed eh!!

LIZS Thu 25-Aug-11 07:53:31

Presumably he wasn't the only one moved. Are there new children to accommodate? Perhaps they felt they needed a rebalance in terms of age, liveliness, girls:boys, ability etc. Realistically your ds is going to have to learn to focus in varied groups, make different friends as he progresses through education and may even benefit from a more extrovert atmosphere. dd's year group has been reshuffled for the second year running, some winners (dd relatively so) some probably feel less so. If there are specific issues when the term starts by all means raise them but I suspect you are going largely on hearsay in feeling concerned and won't change their decision. You need to find a positive , matter of fact spin to convey to your ds.

Kazanova Thu 25-Aug-11 08:25:26

Thanks for comments. There were about 10 kids moved. The very loud kids have been put with the very quite kids, my DS is an inbetween but not distracting. Last years class was perfect for all kids and parents. (I appreicate they need to get used to all personalities so I have no prob there). I fell out with friend whom is a member of staff there. I asked why ds moved and it was relayed that it was for the best for both DS's. But they get on fine and dont destract each other in class. Its seems funny how all her new friends are now in her DS new class. I act mature around her, I got over it along time ago, but I fill she has not. Is it me just being paranoid?

TheProvincialLady Thu 25-Aug-11 08:27:34

Your DS needs to be able to work in environments where there is noise and a little bit of distraction. Think of it as a positive thing - he will no doubt make new friends and keep the old ones.

Kazanova Thu 25-Aug-11 08:47:03

I agree TheProinicalLady. I fully appreicate that he already know kids in new class anyway. Hes quite a socialble kid. I have no prob him being with new people its just the way its been done. I think I am more frustrated that one person can have that muich influence on school

LIZS Thu 25-Aug-11 08:47:54

Perhaps she didn't feel the friendship was as positive for her ds as you did for yours. Sorry, it happens and this probably won't be the last time you will have to face change. It sounds as if you are carrying personal issues over into the situation when maybe you need to separate it. Better to let your ds think it normal from the start and broaden his friendship groups tbh.

Kazanova Thu 25-Aug-11 08:51:38

I have told him that he will make new friends and have been postive about it. I dont want him concerned. I think I am a bit annoyed at school as they used an excuse that did not match that of the teacher or his reports. To say its because of another kid thats no right

clam Thu 25-Aug-11 10:13:56

Well, they didn't use it as an excuse. And the member of staff you mention will have had no input into the re-balancing of the classes.
It's not personal to your son. They need to ensure that each class has a fair mix of age/ability/gender/SN/characters etc... which is very difficult to achieve. If, as you say, your DS's previous class was lovely, then there's a likelihood that the other class wasn't, so the school needed to address that. Praising your son for his development ( hmm Isn't that a bit like praising him for growing taller?) is beside the point. If your son is well-behaved, then it's a kind of compliment to him that they want him as a "good" influence on some of the others.
He will be fine!

2BoysTooLoud Thu 25-Aug-11 12:23:03

Agree with clam that having one 'perfect' class usually means one that isn't! My ds lucky in his class mix last year. Time will tell this year......

mnistooaddictive Thu 25-Aug-11 12:27:21

The school have to consider the best interests of all 60(?) children nit just one like you do.

Kazanova Mon 29-Aug-11 03:14:43

Thanks clam, I am not sure about she has not had input in this, as she would put on an act for anyone to get what she wants. I was friends with her for 4 years and have seen her in action. and she's GOOOOOOOD. I think its also a case of whom hes been placed with that bothers me. I am concerned that DS may start behaving like them. I dont want to confuse DS growing up stage with bevavour in new class, as I know ds will change as he gets older but I feel its a case that if your face fits in our school.

RoadArt Mon 29-Aug-11 06:49:57

Every year teachers have to mix children up and there are always some that are disappointed with the decisions made. Sadly the schools have to draw the line somewhere and there will always be winners and losers.

All I can suggest is you monitor what happens very closely and if it really is an issue then take it up next term

In the meantime, dont worry yourself, it could work out absolutely fine

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now