Talk

Advanced search

7th Birthday Party Year 2

(20 Posts)
flyingsaucer123 Wed 24-Aug-11 17:31:27

My Ds is going into year 2 and he is an October birthday, when he will be 7,I want to have a small party but I am in a dilemma about what to do for his age. Please any suggestions would be appreciated!

newpup Wed 24-Aug-11 18:30:57

Year 2. I would suggest a small group to go bowling and then pizza. Is that practical for you? Or maybe to the cinema and then pizza. Frankie & Bennies are good for birthdays.

duckyfuzz Wed 24-Aug-11 18:31:44

my twins were 7 last dec, we did cinema and pizza, they loved it!

Lotkinsgonecurly Wed 24-Aug-11 18:33:35

Due to cost we took one friend to Lego land. They loved it.

Itsjustafleshwound Wed 24-Aug-11 18:36:25

Depends on what his interests are ...

Saying that, the best birthday party my DD was invited to was a nature walk/bug hunt/ survival camp at a nearby forestry site/council woodlands. It was a pr of wellies and warm clothes and everyone had a real ball.

mrsbaffled Wed 24-Aug-11 20:33:08

We took a few friends bowling. It would still be appripriate to have a few friends to the house and have a party tea with party games.

Taffeta Wed 24-Aug-11 21:18:14

DS is an Oct birthday and in Y2 he had a football party. Other friends in his year had cinema trips for 3 or 4 friends with pizza afterwards. Some had Qasar type things but DS hates that so didn't go to those.

flyingsaucer123 Wed 24-Aug-11 22:21:35

I have started thinking I might have an early Halloween party as quite near halloween, then they can have fun playing older games, make loads of mess and maybe doing pizza and ice cream etc instead of traditional party food!

Taffeta Wed 24-Aug-11 23:07:52

I did a Hallowe'en party for DS's 6th birthday - with games like bobbing for apples etc and dressing up in scary outfits, Nigella's Black Hallowe'en cake etc. His bday is 2 days before Hallowe'en.

Lots of work, tho.

catnipkitty Thu 25-Aug-11 10:05:40

My DD1 had a reptile party, it was FAB. Quite expensive but as a one-off it was well worth it (google Reptile Razzmatazz)

LawrieMarlow Thu 25-Aug-11 10:08:08

We took DS and three of his friends to an acquarium and then back here for some playing. Was a long day but we all enjoyed it.

He wants a bowling party this year. He is awful when bowling as he can't stand to lose. Am feeling it will be potentially painful (but maybe he will be better with his friends around?)

deemented Thu 25-Aug-11 10:11:41

My DS2 will be 7 five days after they go into year 2, and he has asked to take four friends to a huge softplay place - for older children - and to then go to Mcdonalds.

LawrieMarlow Thu 25-Aug-11 10:11:55

I can actually spell aquarium blush

carpetlover Thu 25-Aug-11 10:24:11

DS was 7 last Oct and we had a Hallowe'en party in a hall. We ordered a pumpkin pinata which went down a treat with 7yr old boys. We used lots of green food colouring (the nice stuff) in the drinks and dropped spots of blood (red food colouring) on the sandwiches etc.
We hired a storyteller from a local entertainment co but you could do this yourself. But they told great spooking but age appropriate stories on the floor with the lights out but a torch. I was worried some kids would be scared but at 7, they all loved it!

We bought a pumpkin cake from tesco as a birthday cake too. Cheapest birthday cake Ive ever bought!

Kids all came in fancy dress of course and I did scary party bags which I ordered from a party bag place online who were doing a hallowe'en theme.

It was fab and nowhere near as expensive as some others we have had.

stealthsquiggle Thu 25-Aug-11 10:32:22

Halloween would work well - but are they really too old for party games and party food at 7 sad? My DS and his friends weren't - we did a science party for his 7th birthday (with ideas from MN!) and they all loved it.

carpetlover Thu 25-Aug-11 10:45:06

Well our hallowe'en party had party games and party food and they loved it. You just need to make sure the party games/entertainer is appropriate for 7yr olds as we did go to one where the entertainer's routine was def more suited to 4&5 yr olds and they were a bit bored.

As well as the story telling we played murder in the dark and the who did it game. They loved it!

ImNotaCelebrity Thu 25-Aug-11 19:57:04

I did a 'silly games' party at home for DS's 7th. He loved it.

lilackaty Thu 25-Aug-11 23:24:12

What does he want to do? My ds is September and since Year 1 has decided what he would like to do for his party. Year 2 was a football and hockey party and this year he hasn't decided yet. A Halloween party is a great idea and ime other parents will thank you for it as it saves them having them to take their children out Trick or Treating!

Scholes34 Fri 26-Aug-11 15:13:26

I've sometimes found with a group of children bowling that some get bored whils waiting to bowl, and bored children can be difficult to manage.

spiderpig8 Fri 26-Aug-11 19:16:34

If he autumn born I assume most of his guests will be younger.6 yos will get bored with an hours bowling,maybe too young to be sensible in cinema too.I'd go with something active !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now