Talk

Advanced search

DD who doesn't want to go back to school

(5 Posts)
pinklaydee Tue 16-Aug-11 10:50:50

DD is five, and starts Primary 2 tomorrow. Obviously she is going to go, but the last few days, she has been saying that she doesn't like school, and doesn't want to. I don't want to make a big deal out of it, but feel that I should ask her about it - when I was her age and told my dad that I didn't like school, he gave me a row. She says that it's boring. Last year, she was on advanced reading, and did really well at everything. She has friends. It just puzzles me, I thought that school was supposed to be fun at their age?! She's probably spent too much time with me this summer, and not enough time with other kids her own age TBH.

catrachmattben Tue 16-Aug-11 11:36:56

DD is 6 and started P3 today. We had similar issues last year and worked hard to get him into school. He is bright and taught himself to read before P1and is very clever with maths.He doesn't enjoy writing but is more than capable. We had floods of tears and had to drag him to the line to go into school today. He does struggle with friendships and prefers older children or adult company.He didn't have very good teachers last session and I am hoping he will settle down this year with a different teacher as I am lost for things to do to get him to enjoy school. Sorry I know this doesn't help you but thourght I'd share my experience.We've done the play date thing etc nothing seems to work!

mrz Tue 16-Aug-11 11:37:08

I think you have probably touched on the "problem" in your last sentence ... she has really enjoyed her time with mum and isn't keen on the idea of not being with you all day. I suspect once she gets back with her friends she will happily settle back into the school routine

pinkgirlythoughts Tue 16-Aug-11 13:02:42

I used to get really miserable at the thought of going back to school every single year (even in 6th form, if I'm honest!). I loved school, as I'm sure your daughter does, but I think that the thought of going back after six lovely weeks of doing what you want, when you want, and spending lots of time with mummy, is far worse than the actual going back, IYSWIM?

Elibean Tue 16-Aug-11 22:17:49

Agree with MRZ. 5 is still so little, she's probably just loved being with you and doens't want to leave you - dd1, who loves school, still occasionally says she 'doesn't like school' when really its that she's a home-body who wants to hang out with her mum!

Its also a bit nervewracking going back after a long break, at that age - feels almost like starting over, till they've been there for an hour or two wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now