Talk

Advanced search

catchment for state primary in Ruislip/Eastcote

(9 Posts)
Londonbaby Mon 15-Aug-11 22:03:06

Anyone knows if catchment for good state primary schools in Ruislip are reasonable or very small? Which street should we live in order to get to a good primary over there?

Pinner35 Mon 15-Aug-11 22:05:22

I know the one near me (West Lodge) is 0.3 miles. Check on the Hillingdon council website. I know Harlyn is a very good school, but I'm not sure on any others.

IndigoBell Tue 16-Aug-11 06:42:08

Whiteheath seems to be the best school in Ruislip, and I think it's a 3 form entry so it's catchment won't be ridiculously small.

Eveiebaby Tue 16-Aug-11 23:20:36

Not sure, but maybe phone the school to ask. We are in West London but our nearest supposedly best school has the policy of admission for sibilings first no matter where they live so in the year DD was admitted the catchment area for non siblings was so small that in fact she just got admitted despite the fact that we are probably only 0.5 mile from the school if even that. I know for a fact that people in the street next to us did not get a place but I do think that there were a lot of sibling places given in that particular year - over half of DD's class had siblings at the school so if you multiply that by a three form entry it adds up to a lot!

teacherwith2kids Wed 17-Aug-11 09:44:13

Eveiebaby, I'm surprised that a 'non-sibling' catchment got as big as 0.5 miles for a popular school.

The 2 form entry school my children attend (not the most popular in town, either) would have had a non-sibling catchment radius of 178 metres this year had they not chosen to create a bulge class and thus admit 90 children into reception. Even so, the catchment radius for non-siblings only expanded to 700 mtres, which is c. 0.4 miles.

IndigoBell Wed 17-Aug-11 15:51:50

teacher - probably because we're not quite as densely populated round here. Mostly semi detached houses not terraces or flats......

teacherwith2kids Wed 17-Aug-11 20:54:29

No flats here (a suburb of a large, non-industrial rather 'posh' leafy town), it's a mixture of semis and terraces and big detacheds. It's the first year that the catchment area has got so small - just a quirk of birth rates i think.

Anonanonuk Wed 17-Aug-11 22:38:12

I would highly recommend Coteford Infant school in Eastcote (it is in Eastcote but near the border with Ruislip). It is a mainstream primary and is absolutely fantastic!!!! I've never heard a bad thing said about the school.

Our child is disabled and she goes there. The school was highly recommended by the health professionals and council workers we have used in the past. The staff and children have been absolutely amazing towards our child. The children have been so friendly and helpful to her and are a credit to both the school and their parents!!!

The school is colourful, modern and has excellent facilities. There is to be a Children's Centre opened there as well in the next few months.

I don't know about the catchment area so it is best to ring the school and check. I do know there are pupils there from Eastcote, Ruislip, Harrow, .... so it has a wide catchment area. However there has recently been several new housing developments being built nearby e.g. on the former RAF Eastcote site so the catchment area may well shrink now.

School details:

http://www.cotefordinfantschool.co.uk/about-us/welcome.html

http://www.cotefordinfantschool.co.uk/about-us/files/Ofsted2009.pdf

Coteford Infant School has Nursery, Reception, Year 1, Year 2. Children then go to Coteford Junior School which is on the same road close by. It shares a wonderful woodland site with Grangewood Special Needs School.

http://webfronter.com/hillingdon/CotefordJunior/

http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/inspection-reports/find-inspection-report/provider/ELS/102374/(type)/4096/(typename)/Primary%20schools

Ruislip and Eastcote are very nice areas to live. You have Ruislip Woods, Ruislip Lido and Eastcote House gardens nearby. Ruislip high street is like a proper high street with quite a few independent shops (as well as some well know high street names). Both Eastcote and Ruislip have tube stations and there is a bus (H13) that links the stations e.g. Pinner, Eastcote, Ruislip Manor, Ruislip,...

Housing varies depending on what part of Eastcote or Ruislip you are in - ranges from terraced, semi,-detached, detached, bungalows (not many flats). North Ruislip and the Pinner side of Eastcote tend to be more expensive but very nice.

Anonanonuk Wed 17-Aug-11 22:41:25

Sorry forgot to mention that Coteford Infant School has a three form entry (ie. three class in Reception Year).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now