Talk

Advanced search

Is there any way patent shoes WON'T get trashed?

(36 Posts)
fuckityfuckfuckfuck Thu 11-Aug-11 20:32:38

Or are they (as I suspect) the work of the devil? Dd has seen a pair of school shoes she loves but they are patent. I am reluctant to spend £30+ on a pair of shoes that may get instantly, irreparably trashed. At least normal shoes can hide scuffs with polish, is there such a thing as polish for patent? <dense>

coccyx Thu 11-Aug-11 20:34:05

don't do it,,,,,,,

nancy75 Thu 11-Aug-11 20:35:48

Dd had plain leather shoes in reception and got through 3 pairs shock last year I got patent start right ones, she has had them a whole school year and they are fine, they lasted so much better.

mankyscotslass Thu 11-Aug-11 20:38:47

DD has patent Start Rite shoes the last 2 school years, and one pair has lasted each year, iyswim.

fuckityfuckfuckfuck Thu 11-Aug-11 20:45:57

Ooo so two for and one against. Not what I expected...

Acinonyx Thu 11-Aug-11 20:47:23

Dd always has patent school shoes (because she loves there shininess) and I have had no problems with them.

JustFiveMinutesHAHAHA Thu 11-Aug-11 20:47:32

Leave them in the wardrobe?

Actually - I think they are just as good, if not better than 'normal' shoes. Except if you have a DD just like to stand and 'scuff' the toes angry

mazzi2fly Thu 11-Aug-11 20:52:18

DD has had plain leather shoes and within a week or two they're really scuffed but this last term we got Patent Leather for her and they're great! They still look really smart and you don't need to polish them. Just a wipe with a wet wipe if needed.

MrsMipp Thu 11-Aug-11 20:58:40

We haven't tried it out yet, so might have been waste-of-money. But... have only just purchased a bottle of touch-up polish from Clarks with a pair of patent pumps for my pre-schooler. It's like a bottle of nail varnish and I'm hoping it's the answer as I love love love patent leather shoes!

doozle Thu 11-Aug-11 21:02:44

Patent ones are a million times easier. Hardly needed cleaning at all whereas the plain ones needed doing every day.

Also we didn't get one scuff on the patent ones. We got clarks ones

koalalou Fri 12-Aug-11 00:13:38

yes, patent shoes last much better in my experience. after a year DD1's leather shoes were so badly scuffed they needed constant repolishing and this didn't seem to make her shoes much better for longer than a day or so. DD2's patent shoes lasted ages and the couple of small scrapes I was able to cover over easily with the 'varnish' - her shoes look almost as good now as they did at the start of the year, only they are now too small for her. Both clarks shoes btw.

LovetheHarp Fri 12-Aug-11 10:56:13

I always get Lelli Kelly black patent for my DD1. They cost £45 but they last her until her foot grows really. Most of them have lasted her 2 years!

I tried Barratts/Clarks and lasted half a term - she is a tomboy should I add. I also get Lelli Kelly as summer shoes (the ones with the sparkly beads on) as they last amazingly well too. I have put hers in the washing machine several times and not one bead has come off! I am definitely a big fan!

dixiechick1975 Fri 12-Aug-11 13:30:40

Far more practical than black leather - DD's patent clarks looked brand new when outgrown. Simply wipe over with baby wipe to keep clean.

Unfortunately they don't seem to do patent in larger sizes.

jenniferturkington Fri 12-Aug-11 19:41:47

Yes, patent shoes look newer for longer. My 2 year old wore a pair of Startrite red patent shoes for 7 months and they barely had a mark on them. Her most recent pair of normal leather shoes are in a terrible state after 3 months.

blackeyedsusan Sat 13-Aug-11 08:29:01

if she wrecks lether shoes she wwill wreck patent shoes and rip it off in big chunks. I have found leather much better in that the enormous scuff (taking off the black surface over the whole toe on the first day she wore them) was easily repaired with shoew polish, but when she did the same to the patent there was no repairing them as the patent bit peeled away.

depends ho much damage she does to shoes.

blackeyedsusan Sat 13-Aug-11 08:29:52

shoew?

scarlettsmummy2 Sat 13-Aug-11 08:42:57

I now mainly buy my daughter patent start rite, she is a toddler so we have had pink, red, black, White and purple and I have definitely found them to stay looking good longer.

Bunsouttheoven Sat 13-Aug-11 09:04:01

Another vote for patent here, startrite, not one scuff in 7months.

MayDayChild Sat 13-Aug-11 09:14:39

I read on a different thread that Clarks patent is rubbish and startrite is excellent.

Eveiebaby Sat 13-Aug-11 18:23:13

I sent DP with DD (age 4 at the time) to buy school shoes last term and they came back with black patent shoes. I was not impressed and had to restrain myself from giving DP a real rollocking especially after he told me they had four pairs to choose from and they ended up with the only patent pair grrrr... However I am seriously glad I did not say anything to DP as the shoes have turned out fine they did not get scuffed at all and are still in perfect condition so I would certainly buy patent again. They were Ricosta make.

redpanda13 Sun 14-Aug-11 01:55:18

Last year I bought DD's school shoes in leather and by Christmas they looked like old boxing gloves. My DM took her out and got her a patent pair and they lasted until the Summer. Same brand too. They still looked so good I gave them to the charity shop as it would have been a waste to through them in the recycle.

redpanda13 Sun 14-Aug-11 01:55:34

or throw not through

pinkgirlythoughts Sun 14-Aug-11 10:43:53

I've worked in kids shoe shops, and patent shoes really seem to be like marmite- some parents absolutely swear by them as being far more hard-wearing than ordinary leather, whilst others just hate them, and will rant about how awful patent shoes are at any given opportunity!

ameliapond Sun 14-Aug-11 19:11:07

Dd2 had a pair of leather Clarks shoes, they scuffed within days, her patent shoes from Clarks lasted three months without scuffs, and even then, they were tiny scratches. She wore her patent shoes for five months, and didn't scuff them anywhere near as bad as leather ones.

We also had the polish stuff for patent and it is good, just apply it thinly.

TrompetteMilitaire Sun 14-Aug-11 19:12:55

Patent are brilliant. My DD shreds Start Rite and Clarks shoes (why are they not made for girls to be active???) - but both patent ones in both brands last significantly longer. To my surprise. Sadly she can't wear them at her new school as anything other than plain, plain, plain Start Rite black leather is banned. hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now