Talk

Advanced search

Help! advice on reading and writing over the holidays

(15 Posts)
BreakfastClub Mon 08-Aug-11 15:19:23

Hi, I have been doing reading and writing with my DS (almost 5) during the holidays as I want him to keep his levels up. He received a very good report for reception and I don't want him to forget anything he has learnt as 6 weeks of not practicing is a long time.

I definitely have seen an improvement (mainly in his writtnig as that seems easier for him to do) but it has not been easy though as he is always trying to make excuses as to why he does not want to read or write — typical boy

Sometimes he gets so upset he will cry because he just does not want to read his book, I am worried that I am putting him off but at the same time i don't want him to fall behind. I am aware that in the start of year 1 they get assest on their reading levels.

I am a working mum so during the week I try and do things with him when I get home around 5pm before he gets too tired, but it usually feels like a struggle for him.

Any tips on getting a 5 year old boy to read and write without the drama?

IndigoBell Mon 08-Aug-11 15:36:06

Don't do it if he's crying. It's not going to be helping him.

Could you read with him before school?

Or just do it in the weekends?

He's not even 5 yet. It really, really doesn't matter if he forgets a tiny bit over the holidays. He'll catch it up in a matter of days once he's back at school.

sadmum1000 Mon 08-Aug-11 15:44:50

Do you have a library nearby? We've joined the library reading scheme - circus skills. They have to read 6 books (any book of their choice) and get a reward after every 2 books, with a medal and certificate at the end. It always goes down well with my DS who loves getting certificates. He equally doesn't like homework in the school hols but read his first 2 books within 5 mins of getting home from the library.

mrz Mon 08-Aug-11 15:53:33

I suggest spending no longer than 10 mins and if he is crying then rethink things! He is only 5. I would suggest snuggling up and reading together instead. Perhaps leave him a little note for him to read when you go out to work ... buy him a pad and envelopes so he can write you notes in reply if he wants.

Sandalwood Mon 08-Aug-11 18:59:22

I too was going to say about the library reading challenge. They get incentives (like a sticker that really smells of poo - I know - DD loves it though) and get to chose from lots of books. There's lots of different activity days going on.
It works out about a book a week.
The odd comic just left on the coffee table?
The school have asked for a summer holiday scrapbook, so that's DD's writing sorted - might he do something like that? Or write the odd postcard to grandparents about what he's up to.
Just little bits here and there and not everyday I think.

spiderpig8 Mon 08-Aug-11 19:05:27

It's school HOLIDAY , the clues in the name.I think he would benefit much more from giving it all abreak and making a fresh start in september.
When my 4 were that age I noticed that often, despite doing nothing in teh holidays their reading had progressed just because they had developed and were that bit more ready.

blackeyedsusan Mon 08-Aug-11 19:58:58

treasure maps and treasure hunts(writing and reading)

trips to the moon, writing a list of supplies to buy at the rocket shop.

helping reading the shopping list or even writing the things he wants you to buy.

drawing cartoons and adding words like zap/yum/yuk/pop

writing to granny/auntie etc. reading their replies

writing letters with squirty bottles of water on the path outside

cooking.. weight and science.. things changing when you cook them

bottles and containers in the bath.. full/empty etc

reading stories and drawing pictures about ones he finds really interesting.

blackeyedsusan Mon 08-Aug-11 19:59:30

make it fun not formal

BreakfastClub Mon 08-Aug-11 20:27:37

sadmum1000 - I do take him to the library and he enjoys choosing the books and loves for us to read to him but not so much reading them himself.
I am not aware of the circus skills scheme but i will look into it as it sound like fun - thanks

blackeyedsusan - I have tried the shopping list and writing letters it worked the first time but he gets bored of things very easy and acts like i am telling him to do something awfull.
I will try some of the other things on your list though - thanks

I don't expect more than 10 minutes a day as i know he is still young.

BreakfastClub Mon 08-Aug-11 20:39:03

Sandalwood - I tried the scrapbook which worked for a bit in the summer before he went to reception. I tried to get him to do the scrapbook recently but he refused.
I feel that I have put him off alot of things as trying to do something everyday is maybe to much.
He loves to draw so maybe adding words to some of his pictures would work better and i could just put them together in a scrapbook form after he has completed a few.

MerylStrop Mon 08-Aug-11 20:46:40

My approach would be not to force it
Continue to enjoy reading with him and to him and his interest will grow
Writing especially - fine motor skills are not even developed fully in order to write comfortably and with skill before 6/7 - pushing it is counterproductive IMO.

MrsGravy Mon 08-Aug-11 20:48:28

You really, really need to chill out a bit. If he's had such a glowing report in reception I honestly don't know why you would be so worried about pushing him to do school stuff over the holidays. I think the most important thing is to encourage a love of books, step right back and just read to him if that's what he wants. Then maybe see if he'll read a sentence then you read a sentence. Writing-wise just make sure he's got loads of writing/drawing stuff around that he can use if he wants and, again, step back and let him do what he wants.

BreakfastClub Mon 08-Aug-11 20:55:52

I know sometimes i have to chill
what makes it hard is i did quite bad at school as i just was not interested and now regret it, don't want the same thing to happen to my DS.

We read to him at night but I will definitely read to him more during the day as that should help.

Swarski Mon 08-Aug-11 20:57:04

I would not force it at all. Make sure that he has lots of things to read around him. Comics are really good at this age to get them enjoying reading without seeing it as 'school work'. Also read words with him as you are out and about - this is a good way to look at reading harder words by just reading them together.\

MigratingCoconuts Tue 09-Aug-11 14:47:01

someone on an earlier thread suggested top trumps and they have been a huge hit with my DD in helping with literacy and numeracy without her knowing!

we got these but there are lots of others.

But I do echo what others have said too. A break from learning is as important as the learning and its really important that they keep enjoying it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now