Talk

Advanced search

Dalmain or Kilmorie

(18 Posts)
Stokey38 Mon 08-Aug-11 12:51:48

Hello, we are about to start the primary schools admision process and I wanted to know if anyone had any first hand experience of either Dalmain or Kilmorie? We are right between the two of them and they seem very different in approach. I have heard great things about both of them but the OFSTED report for Dalmain is far better but I have to say after some dealings with OFSTED I would actually go with a parents point of view. Positive / negatives for both would be great. Thank you

sleepingbunny Mon 08-Aug-11 13:17:34

Hiya
My daughter is at Dalmain preschool going up to Reception soon, and we looked at Kilmorie too. I'd be happy to give you detailed feedback, but it feels a bit weird on a public forum - Dalmain is not THAT big a school and I guess it would be quite identifiable -it's obvious enough who I am.

Not, I should add publicly, that I have any concerns at all about our experience. DD is very happy at preschool, teachers are very committed, headmistress astonishingly so, the music is amazing, and the parents very lovely. We're excited about Reception. If you want more specific thoughts from me then I'll try and think of a way of contacting you.

Stokey38 Mon 08-Aug-11 13:34:30

Would you mind PMing me? That would be lovely. Have heard great things about both.

sleepingbunny Mon 08-Aug-11 14:26:41

done

Stokey38 Mon 08-Aug-11 17:25:27

Stokey38 Mon 15-Aug-11 13:23:30

Anyone else. Bit worried as heard some things (second hand I might add) that made me worry about Kilmorie. Thank you.

MajorBumsore Thu 18-Aug-11 22:41:37

What did you hear that worried you about Kilmorie? They are about to have a new head-is this one of your concerns?

Stokey38 Mon 22-Aug-11 12:03:35

Majorb - Okay specifically it was that the teaching beyond Year 3 isn't good and that the school is disorganised and last head left with stress, poor OFTSED and results. Now, I am not overly worried about the OFSTED as I am far more interested in what parents have to say but the things I have heard have come from a parent, albeit only one parent. Really any other informatiion would be great.

AgonyBeetle Mon 22-Aug-11 13:32:43

I have a friend with two kids at Kilmorie who is very happy with it, if that helps? Good community and nice atmosphere, apparently. smile

AgonyBeetle Mon 22-Aug-11 13:33:39

And her kids are both higher up the school, so that's experience going back several years.

MrsPlugThePlumber Mon 22-Aug-11 13:34:43

Ohh I thought this was a baby names thread!

Stokey38 Mon 22-Aug-11 15:53:42

Agony thank you. I am trying not to listen to all the wildly contradictory information I get and base it on what I feel about the schools. It's just quite hard not to get freaked out everytime I hear something negative.

sleepingbunny Mon 22-Aug-11 15:59:15

i know what it's like. For what it's worth, friends of mine v happy with the Reception teacher at Kilmorie, which is, of course, where you need to start. I think you'll hear wildly contradictory things about any school - kids are kids, and no school is perfect. We're lucky to have decent choices around se23. Go round the schools to get a feel - both very open to visitors. Ask the hard questions and let them answer. Any school worth their salt ought to be happy to answer them.

Stokey38 Mon 22-Aug-11 16:54:19

Sleepingbunny - thank you. I think it's because the whole starting school thing is feeling really imminent so I am am feeling a bit freaked out by anything even slightly negative I hear about any school! All very normal I'm sure!

sleepingbunny Mon 22-Aug-11 17:17:51

Absolutely. You may get more help on the SE23 forum, by the way....some stuff on there. I'm not sure where you live, but Rathfern may be an option for you too - or does that just give you even more to think about?

Stokey38 Tue 23-Aug-11 11:31:46

I am trying to focus on Kimorie and Dalmain but will certainly have a look at Rathfern. They use all the sports facilities at St Dunstans and their latest OFSTED good so will defintely give it a look, think it's just not knowing much about it. Thank you for all your advice though, really useful.

motherinferior Wed 24-Aug-11 19:19:04

PM me (I'm the friend) if you like. I think there has been a lot of kerfuffle about the school and my two are doing very well there. I prefer its ethos to that of Dalmain, but that is an entirely personal choice. I am also extremely fond of the former head, about whom too many rumours have circulated and frankly if I were the subject of that level of muttering I would have been in the Maudsley by now.

AgonyBeetle Wed 24-Aug-11 19:46:41

[waves at MI]

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now