Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

My ds has just finished y2 but has difficulties with KS1 English/Maths.

(14 Posts)
confusedandsilly Mon 08-Aug-11 09:57:56

He can't read yet chapter book, his spelling/writing is not great,same for maths. We try to help him but he is not receptive at all, I'm scared for him because the more he is behind the more it will be difficult to catch up for him. Shall I enroll a tutor on the top of the help we are already providing ?
Can you share your experience with me ?

mrz Mon 08-Aug-11 10:15:35

As a Y2 teacher I wouldn't expect most children to be reading chapter books so that really isn't a problem, as long as he can decode words and understand what he is reading he will be fine. Chapter books will come in time.
Difficult to say if he needs more help without knowing where he struggles and where he is in his learning.

IndigoBell Mon 08-Aug-11 10:19:08

What levels did he get in his KS1 sats? Level 1s or Level 2s?

It's quite possible your expectations are too high. If he can read a bit but not a chapter book he's probably exactly where he should be ( a level 2)

Same with maths. A L2 in maths seems like they can't do anything - but actually they're exactly where they should be.

Did school say he was behind?

confusedandsilly Mon 08-Aug-11 10:24:26

On his sats, he got an average of 2c. The teacher said he is a little behind.
I try to make him work a bit everyday but he is not interested. I dont want him to be top of the class, I just want him to be where he should be !

mrz Mon 08-Aug-11 10:37:08

A 2C is only marginally behind and certainly doesn't require the expense of a tutor.
Does he read for pleasure? comics magazines on line?

www.andrelleducation.co.uk/BMFreebies/BMBT%20Learn%20Its%20Tests.zip challenge him with the Y2 Learn it tests (takes 90 seconds a day)

www.andrelleducation.co.uk/BMFreebies/BMBT%20CLIC%20Tests.zip start with level 1 a score of 10/10 3 times in a row moves to level 2 ... challenge him make it a competition.

confusedandsilly Mon 08-Aug-11 11:26:32

Thank you mrz, Im going to do these test with him ! I just want him to be more confident I guess !

mrz Mon 08-Aug-11 11:39:07

Make it fun and if he doesn't want to do them one day don't worry

IndigoBell Mon 08-Aug-11 11:46:58

A 2c is not really behind at all - or rather some schools say the expected level for the end of Y2 is a 2c and other schools say a 2b.

So he's only the tiniest fraction behind.

I really wouldn't worry too much. He's unlikely to be bottom of the class - or even bottom table. (Depending on the school / cohort)

There's every chance he'll be fine without any extra work from you at all.

So do some extra work with him if you want to and he wants to. Especially lots of reading (which isn't really extra work at all) - but I wouldn't push it past what he wants to do, when he doesn't really have a problem at all.

If at Christmas his new teacher is concerned (which is unlikely) - you can always start to do extra work then.......

piellabakewell Tue 09-Aug-11 16:09:03

I don't think tutoring is the way to go but I don't think your concerns are misplaced either. Many children working at 2c are not at all ready to cope with the Yr 3 curriculum and school staffing levels, especially for junior children, tend to mean that he will get very little help. Does his year 2 report clearly identify what his areas of difficulty are? If not, speak to his new teacher and find out what support he is getting and how you can help him.

My daughter used Mathletics to help with her primary maths and your son would probably enjoy using it. It's £40 for a one year subscription.

mrz Tue 09-Aug-11 18:46:39

Don't pay!
There are plenty of free options www.year2maths.co.uk/
www.topicbox.org.uk/mathematics/
www.mathszone.co.uk/
www.topmarks.co.uk/Interactive.aspx?cat=8
www.amblesideprimary.com/ambleweb/numeracy.htm

A child on 2C should have no difficulty in Y3 teachers should plan for the child's stage not for a blanket "this is Y3 curriculum"!

IndigoBell Tue 09-Aug-11 19:00:01

A child on 2c won't struggle unless the teacher is seriously bad.

All work should be differentiated - at least 3 ways. Your DS will get work appropriate to him.

castlesintheair Tue 09-Aug-11 19:10:57

Don't worry he's probably just a late starter like my DS was (and are many boys in my experience). My DS was a 2c at end of year 2 and has finished Year 4 on 4 a/b's which is well above average (I think the national average for end of Year 6 SATS is a 4). I didn't even think my DS was particularly behind in Year 2, I just felt his potential hadn't been realised, as you do with your DS. He's had no extra tutoring and was even impaired by a receptive language problem (which he doesn't have now), so don't despair!

mogmum Tue 09-Aug-11 19:16:04

Am watching this post with interest as my DD had the same, with a 2c for reading writing and maths.
When I asked her teacher to explain it she said that she is very close to a 2b and there is only a couple of points in it and she didnt seem to be concerned. If i am honest I was quite surprised as her reading and comprehension is very good, she is on gold level and her report commented about how well she is doing with reading and also her writing.
She is doing the library summer reading scheme and occasionally some mathletics but I think I will do as IndigoBell says and wait till Christmas and see what happens then

confusedandsilly Tue 09-Aug-11 19:47:11

Thank you so much for your posts, I'm going to calm down a bit and follow your advices.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now