Talk

Advanced search

Using photos of children

(33 Posts)
netherlee Sat 06-Aug-11 13:04:48

One thing my DCs school regularly check with us is whether we object to using pictures of them in any articles, website or any other medium. Rightly or wrongly I have always refused this and of course the school follow this. I know they are just pictures of children (fully clothed etc.) but there is no way of knowing what hands they could fall into.

Am I just being overprotective?

AuntieMonica Sat 06-Aug-11 13:06:51

yes

Feenie Sat 06-Aug-11 13:08:33

Yes.

viewfromawindow Sat 06-Aug-11 13:36:58

And thrice...... Yes

crazycarol Sat 06-Aug-11 13:37:19

There are genuine reasons for refusing permission to publish phots, one being adopted children if there is a risk of being identified. There are probably many others. That is why the school check.

RedHotPokers Sat 06-Aug-11 13:38:37

In your situation, yes YABU.

SoupDragon Sat 06-Aug-11 13:38:51

Yes, you are being overprotective in this instance.

However, as has been said, there are genuine protection reasons for parents to withhold consent for pictures to be used.

AuntieMonica Sat 06-Aug-11 13:39:39

that's exactly why i said 'yes', crazycarol

if there were genuine reasons NOT to have the pictures published (apart from the fact it is a choice) , the OP wouldn't need to ask

smile

netherlee Sat 06-Aug-11 13:41:56

Interesting replies. I just wondered because I was sure reliable sources had advised against puting photos of kids on school websites or newsletters etc. We might think again about this.

SilveryMoon Sat 06-Aug-11 13:42:21

I agree with everyone else.
I have no issue with my dc's pictures being taken or used, but a friend of mine's mum fosters children and she has taken in a few who have had their names changed, where they aren't allowed to discuss the childs past with anyone, and they are not to give anyone permission to take and use photos of them, all because the parents \are looking for them.

I think if you're just worried what might happen to the pictures and who would see them, then you are being a bit over-protective, yes.

mrswoodentop Sat 06-Aug-11 13:51:46

We had someone at school do this ,no special issues just a little over protective.It can be quite awkward as when photos are taken of concerts /nativities etc the child has to be removed ,excluded from team photos etc.After 6 years of being really careful the parents rang up to complain that their child photo was never in the paper if she won anythingangry
Seriously maybe you just need to revisit your reasons ,if you still feel uncomfortable then it is your right to refuse permission

TheSecondComing Sat 06-Aug-11 13:56:04

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BillComptonstrousers Sat 06-Aug-11 13:58:50

What exactly are you worried about? And what kind of 'hands' are you worried about them falling into?

I hate this 'paedo round every corner' type of hysteria.

Unless there is a genuine reason, d/v, fostering etc. I really can't see the problem.

annieversaire Sat 06-Aug-11 14:00:05

I refuse on the grounds that my child is not in touch with his father's side of the family and I don't want them to find his picture randomly online or in a newspaper.
I hope that's a good enough reason but I always feel guilty about causing inconvenience or people wondering why.

TheSecondComing Sat 06-Aug-11 14:03:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

CaptainNancy Sat 06-Aug-11 14:08:13

Some people would not want others to identify and locate their children e.g. adopted children, those subject to child protection investigation, children whose parents work with paedophiles, children whose parents are escaping DV or other family related trauma.

In general there probably aren't many risks, but there are always specific circumstances to consider.

exoticfruits Sat 06-Aug-11 14:08:23

Yes-over protective. It is so sad for the DCs, the photographer comes to take photos of all the DCs in assembly for some reason and about 10 DC have to be moved first-what on earth do they think will happen?! My DCs have been in the paper several times with the school, it was lovely. Paranoia!

exoticfruits Sat 06-Aug-11 14:09:18

Sorry-paranoia unless you have an express concern about someone you know.

emptyshell Sat 06-Aug-11 14:27:07

My parents worked for the local paper - so every time they needed a child to pose for anything (my brother posed with a glass of coke and chocolate bar - and then got to dispose of the props, I got the joy of modelling very glamourous 1980s knitting patterns... someone got the crap end of the deal here) we got dragged in. We were in the local paper (and named) a LOT as kids - and survived to adulthood unscathed - although the photographic evidence of being a child during the 1980s is somewhat more traumatic when it reappears in adulthood.

There are valid reasons listed above - but a lot of it is just whatever label you want to attribute to it.

teacherwith2kids Sat 06-Aug-11 14:39:57

In some circumstances, there are exceptionally good reasons why a child should not have their photograph taken at school and released into the public domain.

In others, there are reasons why a photograph alone, but with no name attached, is fine but a photograph with the child identifiable by name is not.

We have families at school who ask for no photographs to be used, others happy for a photo but no name attached, others happy for a group photo with no name attached (e.g. 'here are all the winners from today's sports day' or 'here is our choir') but not for individual pictures even with no name attached.

I would say that in most circumstances, saying that you are happy for a child to be in a group photo where no-one is named avoids excessive inconvenience for the school (no-one has to be on hand to whip said child out of the way from nativity photos or a general photograph of the school's anniversary celebrations or of a successful football team whatever). As part of my family has exceptionally good reasons for asking for no individually named and identifiable pictures of children to be released by the school (to do so places the children at very high risk of harm), I do think that there is a balance to be struck and no-one should make assumptions or criticise a family who appear to be 'paranoid'.

annieversaire Sat 06-Aug-11 16:07:59

Well TSC that's great as you say if there's no problem with the people in your family who might find the photos.

I don't really want to go into detail about mine, and it's conceivable that others in a similar situation would also not want to go into detail so it's always best to assume there's a good reason unless you actually know otherwise.

annieversaire Sat 06-Aug-11 16:10:23

exotic fruits I don't think you're in a position to judge whether they are all paranoid or not without full knowledge of the facts, iyswim

caughtinanet Sat 06-Aug-11 16:17:14

OP - what do you mean by reliable sources advising you not to do this?

Special circumstances aside the most valid reason not to would be the future embarassment problem raised by emptyshell grin

ime it is very unusual to have names on any school related photos unless it would be nonsense not to e.g. a child winning an individual sporting competition. I wouldn't expect names on any kind of group activity or child doing something thats not specific to that child iyswim.

Lizcat Sat 06-Aug-11 16:20:07

You are denying yourself the chance to be incredibly proud of your child on something. DD pictured singing on the invitation to the summer concert last year I was proud. This year thousands of parents got her picture in June on the Supercamps mail out as this went in everyones school bag the day after she had been last in every race at sports day I puffed myself up with pride. I know for some this is not possible.

exoticfruits Sat 06-Aug-11 16:22:24

I added that some people may have cause for concern within their family-maybe they want to stay hidden for example.
If it is just general I always feel sorry for the DCs who have to be removed, if a photographer wants to take a class or assembly. The class lists have to come out and DCs have to be removed-therefore you are all sitting in assembly and there is a quick flurry while about 12 DCs have to be taken out so the photographer can take a photo where most DCs will be a sea of faces and there will be no names. I wouldn't do it to my DC without good reason. They have been in the paper and I have sent copies to grandparents-and put them in a scrapbook.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now