Talk

Advanced search

School Admin Job

(12 Posts)
LisaW260 Thu 04-Aug-11 19:11:40

Hello

At the moment I currently do volunteer work in a local school, however, recently I have been for 3 job interviews and not been selected, even though on all 3 occasions, the decision to appoint has been between, myself and someone else. I keep being told that I need more experience, I'm at a loss as to how I could gain anymore experience. I use SIMS, deal with enquires for both staff and parents, take dinner, school trip and fund money. I'm also a school governor at another local school as well.

Does anyone who works in a school office have any advice for me, I have a further interview next week and really want this one, as its very close to home.

Lisa

sunnydelight Fri 05-Aug-11 06:50:55

I wonder with the jobs you didn't get if they went to people with kids at those schools? Of course that shouldn't come into it but ime a lot of those jobs do seem to be given to those with a "connection". It's gone beyond a joke at our school. We're in Oz and things like employment law and equalities are definitely behind the UK, but every part time job at the school is circulated to parents first. I would actually prefer to think they would go for "the best person for the job" who might not be a school parent.

Decorhate Fri 05-Aug-11 07:28:37

There is huge competition for jobs in schools because they are appealing to parents as most are term-time only. I think you have done really well to get interviews - when I was applying I often never even got to that stage because of the number of applicants.

I did eventually get a job - but it is full-time so there was less competition!

Would you consider applying for a full-time job in the short-term to gain relevant experience?

Are you using the head at the school you volunteer at as a referee? I think that was also useful in my case...

Decorhate Fri 05-Aug-11 07:30:36

Just wanted to wave to sunny delight too - you won't remember me due to name changes but we once were going to the same place in Ireland for our hols - R. We are back there again in a few weeks!

mummytime Fri 05-Aug-11 07:48:28

One of our local secondaries runs a training course specifically for people wanting such jobs. They actually now charge you to do the course, and you do get experience in a couple of schools, it is the main way people get these jobs, although occasionally someone starts as a clerk to the governors and then gets a more full time role.

AbigailS Fri 05-Aug-11 07:53:25

I don't believe most part time jobs are automatically circulated to parents first, but to save money for most posts we advertise on our school's website and local magazine. When anyone calls in "on spec" asking if we have vacancies we always tell them to keep an eye on the website and magazine. However we do find we get lots of parent applications as they find their child's school fits in better for their child care committments and is usually closer to home, but they don't automatically get the job.
If it's between two candidates equal candidates we are actually less likely to appoint someone with a child at the school. Parents often have too many contacts with other parents and although I'm sure they can remain professional it can make it very hard for both them and the other parents. The same goes for teaching assistants.
Sorry OP I can't offer any suggestions, you seem to have all the necessary skills and experience. Sometimes, when there are a range of well skilled candidates, it just comes down things beyond the actual job description and goes into more of "fit" of personalities, so no matter how good your skills and experience and great you are as a person it all becomes more subjective and linked to who ever is already working in the office.
Good luck with your interview.

DeWe Fri 05-Aug-11 12:46:26

I have a feeling you have to advertise for a state school post in the public domain. I know that one local school had someone in for maternity cover, and then when that was over an equivalent (but not the same) post became available, and the governors found that they had to advertise it (at expense of course) openly and interview others, which was both hard on the maternity cover teacher (who then had to be interviewed for the post) and on others that may have been a very reasonable application, but up against someone who's successfully done the job were obviously the second choice.

I wouldn't want to be in the same school as my children if I could avoid it. I'm just imagining sitting in an office listening to "ds, can you just sit still..."

AbigailS Fri 05-Aug-11 14:19:15

Advertising for posts like this can be as simple as posters on noticeboard by school gate. That counts as "public". We've advertised many posts this way and usually provides us with at least one suitable candidate. Also it has it's bonuses of not costing anything, providing a small pool of candidates and if we've got a semi-internal candidate in mind it saves a long winded process. Even with just one suitable application we can interview and not appoint if they don't seem OK when we meet them. Obviously if it is a permanent teaching post and there are no amazing candidates we advertise in the press, but it is legal to go down the poster / internet route.
I completely agree with you DeWe, I would HATE to work at the same school as my children. Imagine the conversations about them you might hear in the staff room!

baffledmum Fri 05-Aug-11 21:28:24

hi

I got a p-t job at a school at which I am not a parent. I loved it.

I would suggest preparing hard for the interview - look at all elements of the job and person spec and think of examples for each point. Write it out, learn it!

Vintagepommery Sat 06-Aug-11 12:50:34

"One of our local secondaries runs a training course specifically for people wanting such jobs. They actually now charge you to do the course"

Sheesh - they're not missing a trick there are they?

mummytime Sun 07-Aug-11 07:02:01

Nope! As my kids go there I'm all in favour of their money making schemes. They don't make money out of the kids, it all goes back into funding the school, and with cut backs...

sunnydelight Sun 07-Aug-11 09:18:16

Oh, have fun Decorhate. I was there in May as I was over from Oz visiting family. Have a pint in Nolan's for me smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now