Talk

Advanced search

New Book Bag every year?

(18 Posts)
PeskyPiskie Thu 04-Aug-11 13:22:32

Prompted by the other thread on book bags, I am interested to know whether you buy a new one every year. My DS uses his (provided by school with the logo on) to take everything to school and it looks really manky now, but probably is still serviceable. Should I buy a new one? Can you put them in the washing machine?

Lizcat Thu 04-Aug-11 13:24:04

I picked the fluff off the velcro and wiped it down, but nothing more. However, now after 3 years in infants it has gone in the bin to make way for the juniors Rucksac.

mrz Thu 04-Aug-11 14:08:04

My two had the same book bags right through primary ... (Yes they will wash) and they were good enough to pass on when they left

teacherwith2kids Thu 04-Aug-11 14:35:27

DS's is about to go into its 5th year. Have never done anything to it except re-attached the velcro when it started to come off.

stealthsquiggle Thu 04-Aug-11 14:39:23

There is more than one thread on book bags shock?

DS used his until he moved schools - I have to admit I didn't make DD inherit is as it was, on closer inspection, on it's last legs, and they have changed to a new improved design anyway.

MMQC Thu 04-Aug-11 14:45:21

My son has just finished year 2 and my daughter reception. They will both need new book bags (after a year) as there are holes in the bottom of both so large they are losing things through them. I had to tape them up at around Easter.

Perhaps our school uses a cheap supplier!

emptyshell Thu 04-Aug-11 15:04:37

Found a few that are starting to suffer the effects (probably of that nice "fling yer bookbag along the floor like you're skimming stones in a pond" game) by Y2/3ish but most kids don't have a new one every year nope... more the point where the massive holes in the bottom mean they're shedding all their stuff on the way into school like some pencil-trailing snail let loose in Staples.

HappyMummyOfOne Thu 04-Aug-11 19:01:36

We did until last year when DS wanted an actual school bag, the velco goes fluffy and they dont look smart when worn.

zorgmoid Thu 04-Aug-11 21:28:57

I think there are several levels of bookbag, from the flimsy type that attach with velcro to bags more like a messenger bag, made of waterproof canvas and attaching with a buckle.

EustaciaVye Thu 04-Aug-11 21:32:41

wash it.

PeskyPiskie Fri 05-Aug-11 13:30:54

Thank you everyone. I will wash it and tape up the holes. My DS is not the most careful with his things sad.

mummytime Fri 05-Aug-11 16:37:39

All three of mine used the same one (just about a big enough gap). Although when the eldest started they had a horrible one which looked pretty manky after 1 year, then he lost it, and the new ones were much better (music bag quality) and they all used it, it would do another child but the logo has changed.

Runoutofideas Fri 05-Aug-11 16:55:21

My dd has had one for the past 2 years but now needs a new one as the velcro no longer sticks and there are big holes in the corners. I suspect they were not well made in the first place as dd is generally quite careful at looking after her things.

TheFlyingOnion Sat 06-Aug-11 17:10:24

do what you like.

Seriously, if you want to buy a new bag, do it

If you don't, then don't....

Easy.

greycircles Sat 06-Aug-11 17:18:30

My DD's is on it's 4th year. My DS's is on it's 2nd year. I babywipe them when they get marked (inside and out) so both look quite nice. I have a friend who washed it and it was successful. However, if your bag is in a state, just buy a new one!

EllenJaneisnotmyname Mon 08-Aug-11 01:59:26

My DS's all had two each throughout primary school. Once they don't drag them on the ground they last longer IME.

MigratingCoconuts Wed 10-Aug-11 18:37:03

mine are using the sure start ones they got for free cos I'm too tight to buy new ones when we have perfectly godd ones already grin

MigratingCoconuts Wed 10-Aug-11 18:37:28

oops...'good'

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now