Talk

Advanced search

teaching independent dd to write her name. HELP!!!

(4 Posts)
molk Thu 04-Aug-11 12:33:08

I would really appreciate adviceon how to teach letter formation to my dd who refuses to be shown but grabs the pen and does it her own way. Just want her to be able to write her long name properly before she starts school in September, but don't want to turn it into a battle.
She is very determined and independent in general and it is hard to show her anything without her thinking she knows best!

treesinthebreeze Thu 04-Aug-11 13:21:51

Before you start do check what handwriting style your dd's school use! I say this because you may spend a long time teaching her to do it, only for her to be taught a cursive style in September, as my school do.

My dd starts school in September too and is very much the same as your dd. We've let her get on with it in her own way tbh as I was reluctant to turn it into a battle of the wills! I've just kept modelling the correct formation, calling it 'the school way' and it is slowly sinking in. She now gets very excited when she manages to form a letter correctly.

BarbarianMum Thu 04-Aug-11 21:38:50

If she doesn't want to learn from you (my ds2 is the same) then would she be happy to learn from daddy, or granny or an older sibling or cousin?

If the answer is no then honestly, leave it, cause chances are she'll learn quite happily at school with her teacher/classmates.

pleasantlyconfused Thu 04-Aug-11 22:10:53

What is her own way? My daughter is starting school in September and is forming recognisable letters. It's more about fine motor control than any particular formation at the moment (I'm a teacher and Foundation Stage coordinator as well as a mum!). Sounds like she is doing just the right thing!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now